The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What amp and effects do you use for steel?
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 12:13 am    

I always play Steel and Guitar, so one two channel amp or two separate amps is a must. My two amp set up is, a Peavey Session 400 LTD., and a '71 Fender Pro Reverb. The single amp set up is one of four Fender amps: a SF Twin w/either 2-12 JBL D-120F's, or two single 15" JBL D130F's, the previously mentioned Pro Reverb, '77 Deluxe Reverb, and a '64 Princeton Reverb (that is usually only taken to guitar gigs). The old Marshall JCM 800 1/2 and full stack, and the old Les Paul Standard is coming out of moth balls for some Blues Band gigs, (Cream, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed, ZZ Top......)in the near future. The only effects I use on steel is reverb, for guitar I like a Keeley Studio Pro Compressor, Keeley Red Dirt Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy, and an old Ibanez Stereo Chorus. Simple and effective.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 11:20 am    

John Macy wrote:
My current setup is the best I have ever had--Sarno Black Box, Benado Steel Dream with a TC Nova Delay in the loop into a Telonics Mini 12" Combo amp...dreamy...

John Macy's current setup is the best I have ever heard.

My current setup is pot pedal, Fender HotRod Deluxe, built in reverb, stock speaker. I made circuit and component mods recommended Ken Fox. Now it's the best I ever had.

Eminence TT-12 will make it better still, but its "HRD-badness" had nothing to do with the speaker.

Darrell Grigsby

Jonesburg, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 12:45 pm     What effects and amp do you use for steel guitar

Mullen G2-DD-5-Telonics volume-SMS classic
Milkman 85 sideman
(all GS-6 cables)

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 3:02 pm     amp setup

I have had 3 Standel amps 2 with 15 in speakers one with 2 12s a Christmas tree SHO BUD d130F two Nashville 400 one silver corner one black a Vegas 400 silver corner a Nashville 112 A Fender twin 2 D120Fs A Fender dual Showman with all d series JBLs an Evans SE 150 and an Evans SE120 a Single channel SHO BUD A 68 Pro reverb A vintage vibrolux reverb and the one thing I found out even tho I thought I had good tone I ran across a article written by John Lemay called be a tone monster on how to set your amp. changed my life. I can now make most any decent amp right. the steels I've had over the years A Fender 400 a crossover SHO BUD a ZB custom a Sho BUD permanent Tommy White's 73 Pro2 SHO BUD and now a Zumsteel D10 . So if you tweek your amp right and practice your touch on that right hand and fit your picks that works best for you it should be ok. Then you cane experiment for that elusive tone. My wife swears I'm a tone freek but I have listened to the very best there ever was and I recognize it when I hear it. PS I use my old single Channel SHO BUD with a D130F as my favorite being I was stupid enough to sell my Christmas tree SHO BUD.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 4:16 pm    

Being the perpetual beginner, I do not gig (I am always planning on it next year). So my opinions are based on just playing for myself. I've tried a bunch of amps - Fender Silver Face Bassman 135, GK MB200, Carvin BX250, and a Stereo Steel, older Gold=face with no effects unit. IMO, best is the Stereo Steel. The Carvin has a similar EQ setup, and was hoping to get a similar tone in a smaller package, but no such luck! In A/B/C comparisons I rank them 1) Stereo Steel 2) GK MB200 3) Carvin. BTW, I ran the Stereo Steel in mono with one speaker - was interested in the tone vs. the other mono amps, not the stereo effect. That only can enhance the final results.

Speakers - I have a Black Widow 15" and a Sica Neo 15", both in home-made open-back cabs.

Li'l Izzy - no matter what I run, tone is always improved IMO by using a Li'l Izzy. Better string separation and just generally brighter tone.

Effects - nothing but a Behringer RV 600 "Reverb Machine." Keep it simple.

Greg Cutshaw
Quote:
I am down to 3 steel amps: Telonics 500C combo , Peavey Nashville 400, Walker Stereo steel with 2 re-coned JBL speaker cabs.

Greg has owned more amps than most! And. excepting the Milkman Amps, has tried the current "hot' pedal steel amps (Milkman, Telonics, Quilter, and long-termer Stereo Steel). I think I need to dig through your reviews some. To be honest, I wondered why you bought the Quilter - even as you reviewed it, you seemed to say you thought the Stereo Steel was the best. So I will be looking to see what your opinions of your current crop are! But I don't think you have a review of the Stereo Steel yet? I'd like to see a head to head of the Stereo Steel vs. the Telonics.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 3:14 pm    

I play Emmons or Mullen HWP D-10s, through a 30 YO matchbox, through a PV Blues Classic (Classic 50 w/ 1-15" BW)and ping-pong a stereo delay between the PV & a Fender SideKick switcher. The reverb is a Boss RV-3. The stereo delay makes it sound REAL big.

For mostly steel gigs, I replace the Blues Classic with a Renown 1-15". When my hernia insurance is current,and gas is under $2/gallon, I use a 70s Ultralinear Twin Reverb w/JBLs.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 9:41 pm    

1)Session 500 with an Alesis 3630 limiter straight in and an old Quadraverb in the loop,or just a Boss DD-7 in the loop.

2)NV112 with either outboard setup as above.With the Peaveys I use the"volume pedal patch" for the VP.

3)Fender '65 Twin Custom 15,with the DD-7.I could daisy-chain the 3630/Q'verb rack with the VP into the front of the amp,just haven't yet.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 10:23 pm    

The fx that stay with me for every gig :
Sarno earth drive
love pedal eternity (overdrive)
Walrus Audio Bellwether Analog Delay

Milkman amps

I use a goodrich L120 volume pedal also.

I use one or the other overdrive depending on the situation. Sometimes both.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 1:44 pm    

TELONICS!!!

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 3:22 pm    

Sarno Revelation
TC Electronics M2000
ART SLA-1
Peavey PR-15 Speaker

Walter Glockler

Northern New Mexico
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 4:09 pm    

Rittenberry SD - 10,
Hilton pedal,
Earthquaker Dispatch Master,
Boogie Mark 2B w/ JBL K 140.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 6:49 pm    

Been through all the "best pedals", and rack system stuff, and midi hookups, etc., etc. I just don't think they helped all that much in getting that elusive ideal steel sound. And I like simple!

Now I just use a Zoom MS50-G with either a NV112, or a Special 130, and I love the sounds I can get.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 7:02 pm    

MB200, DD-3 and 15" cabinet

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 3:26 pm    

I'm going back to direct on the road: one Line 6 HD500X to replace all 3 of my amps, one Rack, and one other pedalboard. I like it in tests, and I'll be happy to weigh in on how it performs over the next couple of months.

Fender Twin head into a 4x12" Mesa-Boogie Cab sounds pretty darn good to me. After all, my amps were off-stage, turned around backward, with a blanket over them anyway... Funny, and true!

I feel like it's gonna be a working man's Kemper,

David Spires

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 4:25 pm    

David, I for one would appreciate the short term followup.

My current needs don't include pedal steel, but do include non pedal steel, bass guitar, and telecaster... many times all in the same gig.

3 small but separate rigs can get a bit much to carry even once.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 5:36 pm    

I've had the Fender Steel King, Peavey Nashville 400 with factory mod, Telonics combo and Walker Stereo Steel in one room for a while now. They are all great but I have a strong preference for the Steel King, Telonics and Walker Stereo Steel as well as past premium amps like the Webb 6-14-E. Yes I've seen lots of the very top pros play Peavey amps and sound OK with them. Yes their playing was stellar but their sound IMHO would be better with one of the premium amps systems. The Walker Stereo Steel is a bit unique in that it is true stereo which is really great in the near field where the player is hearing it. Even out in the audience the two speaker cabs spread the sound out a lot. At steel shows the Walker stands out as having better projection, a fat tone and just no harshness. I've heard the same pros play through their Peavey setups and through borrowed Walker systems and the Walker tone blows away their standard setups. I love my Telonics but I haven't gotten out to hear it on a live job. It matches the Walker for great tone in the studio and in the basement but perhaps others can comment on how it does at the steel shows with various players using it.

It's ever that simple though as your choice of strings (stainless vs. Nickle wound), foot volume, cord lengths and type, effects and buffers, speaker, speaker break in time, number of cabs, picking technique, pickups, guitar etc can have a huge effect on your sound. Listening to Jim Murphy play his stuff through a Webb amp was life changing. You see right away how his constant slight gutting of the sound with the foot volume cuts of the string attack creating a warmer more explosive sound that no set of equipment can create.

I am now down to just the Telonics and Walker systems. Both are awesome IMHO but neither can produce as fat a tone on a recording as a DAW with stereo reverb, duplicate slightly shifted tracks, a hint of stereo echo, EQ to taste, slight compression, eliminating the rooms effects.

For my amp reviews I don't go for the best recorded tone so I don't use all of the DAW tools. I usually use the amp reverb and an SM-57 to capture what I am hearing in the near field.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 8:30 pm    

Milkman Half & Half amp, Sarno Earth Drive, H&K Rotosphere. Sometimes I bring a Line6 Pod XT if the gig calls for a lot of variety. I also have a POG2 for organ effects that I bring out now and then.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 10:09 am     gear

Goodrich 120/Nashville 112/rv7 reverb

mike

Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 7:36 pm     Equipment

This is another topic that's subject to opinion. In past years I have used lots of effects and different amps. I am down to my Sho-Bud Super Pro thru a Nashville 400 with factory mod. I like a Carbon Copy pedal for a little "slap-back." I like the reverb in the amp. I use a Sho-Bud volumn pedal mounted on the pedal bar. It has a Dunlop pot. Maybe just me, but I think it sounds better than the old AB pots. Again, It's all subject to what you like.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 8:59 pm    

Sho-Bud Pro III with 705 pups run through a Fox modded Nashville 400 Lil Izzy Peavey ProfexII... Awesome combo and I love the fatness out of my tone... Slim

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 5:30 pm    

Evans FET-500 Custom with any of my guitars is choice!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 11:17 am    

Goodrich L120-> Boss DD3 -> Session 400, '69 Twin Reverb, or old Peavey Bandit. Amp reverb on whichever amp I use.