The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to find others to play with?
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 9:22 pm    

Does anyone have any ideas on how to find others to play with? My grandpa in eastern New Mexico goes to a couple of jam sessions.... but without my connection through him, it seems like it would've been impossible for me to find those.

It makes me wonder if any 'hidden' jams are going on around my area. I don't think they usually post online... how do I find them? I want some casual musician friends who simply enjoy making music.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 11:22 pm    

try your local Craigs List, or www.bandmix.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 1:43 am    

Contact every Senior Center within 50 miles, ask them if they sponsor weekly music nights which are Jams, I guarantee many do. Also call all the local music stores and ask them if they know of any, NOT Guitar Centers...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 6:09 am    

As "connected" as we are these days, not everyone is on facebook and the internet, so you'll just have to get out, canvass, and see what's going on. Go and see local bands, and meet the musicians. Find out what they're doing, what kinds of music they play, and do some off-line networking. Check out any local clubs and music stores, and read the local papers and publications that feature happenings in your area. When you're starting out, you have to make the effort. Once you become "known" to the locals, it'll get easier. Cool

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 6:43 am    

Seems like open mic's are a big hit in my area and Wis. The way to do it as Donny says is to get out to the bars, clubs and lodges and ask around and dont take to much concern on genre because it takes all kinds to play the juke box and you'll eventually find some people in your listening dept, I usually go stag to these events with my steel and gear, seems like most jams want you early and stay till the end because of its rare appearance , I also try not to wear it out every where theres a jam, keep em missin your steel,
"Have some fun"

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 6:50 am    

Here in the Mesa/Apache junction area there is list of many jams going on 7 days a week. Check with a local 55 senior park, they may know if there is one in your area.
Geo

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 5:47 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
Contact every Senior Center within 50 miles, ask them if they sponsor weekly music nights which are Jams, I guarantee many do. Also call all the local music stores and ask them if they know of any, NOT Guitar Centers...

I think this is your best bet...and once you find one, you will likely find other people also...I go to jams to find people that I think I would enjoy getting with in a smaller group and have similar tastes and are on a similar level in music...once you make a connection, you will likely find these people know others and on and on. They do exist, it is just harder to find them than it is in Mesa, Arizona !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:35 pm    

Well I found these guys on my craigslist-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV9GtltB2rU

But on a much better note (no pun intended!! Laughing), I've been able to get in contact with a nearby steeler who knows of many jams out here.

Thanks!