The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '71 Emmons D10 8X6 B. Charleton's and M. Auldridge's guitar
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 1:45 pm    

I have two Emmons D10s. This is a good one. The other needs some setup work and then perhaps I'll put that one up as well and see which sells first.

I purchased this guitar from Tommy Auldridge. The guitar is flat black, essentially with an Emmons copendant with some oddities such as Eb = RL. The C6th has some different pedal setups as well. This is hands-down the best sounding Emmons I've ever played. Unreal sustain and tone. Mike played it on a lot of sessions including with Emylou Harris. But the house needs a new roof before I can redo the mortgage.

I won't take less than $4800 plus shipping and I would really prefer a somewhat local sale. Includes a pretty clean original case and the volume pedal that came with the guitar.

Here is an e-mail from Tommy Auldridge (Mike's brother and a great player himself) concerning the guitar.

"Tom: I guess you didn't get my email concerning the history on your black Emmons. So I'll tell you all about it again. On Wednesday, I got a phone call from Dale Wood. He used to take Dobro lessons from my brother Mike. He tells me that the original owner of that black Emmons was Buddy Charleton.

Buddy did a lot of recording with that steel, and so Mike traded Dale a Dobro for it, because Mike was about to do a recording session, and wanted to use that same steel. Dale bought that steel from another local player named Curry Coster. Curry had been taking lessons from Buddy Charleton, and that's how he came across the chance to buy it from Buddy.

So, Buddy Charleton was the first owner, he sold it to Curry, and Curry sold it to Dale Wood, and Dale traded it to Mike, and Mike gave it to me. I think if I had known all that history, I would not have sold it.

Curry is a friend of mine and he always told me it was the best sounding steel, and that I should keep it. I never got around to changing it over to the Day set-up.

And that's really cool, because now you can brag about the fact that you have the Buddy Charleton steel that made all those Ernest Tubb records from the time that Buddy first got that steel from Ron Lashley. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Tommy"

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 1:14 pm    

Pictures added.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 5:21 pm    

Hmmm... here's a historical guitar at a decent price and no one wants it. Go figure.

I don't need to sell it, I have other instruments that are sleeping in the back bedroom. Just was hoping to find a good home for a killer steel. I'll keep it around for a few days and then pull it.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:08 pm    

We are just all silently wishing we could own it. Smile

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:15 pm    

Tom Gorr wrote:
We are just all silently wishing we could own it. Smile

-L- No one noticed the first-year Session 400 with the side logo sitting behind the steel. Fantastic amp. Those old 400s really have the tone...

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 8:32 am    

I noticed. Played one once and was def the best steel amp I ever heard. If I ever saw one for sale locally I would own it.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 9:10 am    

Hey Tom; Dickey here. Love those old Denim finished Emmonses; they just even LOOK like they sound great, & I know they DO! Wish I was local, I would come play it; maybe make an impulse buy. My steel future is that one day I'm gonna own another PP & another Zum (2nd only to a PP in tone) Good luck with the sale!

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 12:05 pm    

Yo! Dickey-Bob! Always a pleasure. Wish I was in Florida too, raining like crazy in these parts. Cold and wet...

I'm letting this advert sink to the bottom. Don't really need to sell the guitar and I've not played any steel that compares to it. Just hate to fool with the copendent which I need to do at some point if I want to gig it.

One thing I've learned from owning this axe -- the pro's get the good stuff...

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 11:44 am    

Hey Tom:

So you got that steel from Mike! I remember Mike telling me about this steel, he really coveted it due to it once being owned by Charleton. I thought I remembered Mike telling me that it was a 1965 vintage, but wondering if my memory on this point is wrong, as it has the metal or plastic nameplate on the front. What a gem. Maybe you should work out something with Tommy A. so he can get it back. Best of luck on the sale. Would love to own this Emmons just because it was my old buddy Mike's. Miss him so much.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 11:52 am    

Thanks John. It's a '71 and Tommy told me it was Mike's main steel. I'm not going to sell it just now. Sounds too good and looks the part. I just hate having to deal with resetting the copendent. So it can sleep in its case until I can find someone who knows Emmons or I make a BIG batch of espresso and get on it myself. -L-

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 1:30 pm    

Hmmm... wonder if Mike had a 1965 in addition to this one. Woulda' sworn he told me he had a '65.

Glad to hear you are keeping it Tom. I wouldn't part with that guitar for anything. Hoping you get it set up for yourself soon...

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 4:47 pm    

John, speaking to Tommy A., he said this is the only Emmons Mike ever had. So there ya have it.

Gary Stutz

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 4:34 pm    

Tom-

I'd be interested in the '71 if you want to sell. I live near Truckee and would come by to take a look. Sent an email to you this morning, not sure if it got through.

Beautiful Emmons-

Gary

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 6:13 pm    

Hi Gary. I contacted you privately. I sent my phone number and we can have a talk. Lotta weather up in your parts same as here...