The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with Jeff Newman Track
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 5:27 pm    

I found this track in my itunes library. It seems to be from a Jeff Newman CD with no title. I'd like to know the name of the tune so I can figure out where I got it, and maybe also find the tab for it. thank you !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZIIxxhSzZ4&feature=youtu.be

Mitch Daniels

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 5:45 pm    

"Someone to give my lovin' to"

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 5:45 pm     Name that tune!

Hey Karen, that one's easy..... Paycheck's "Someone to Give My Love To"!
I hope that helps you in some way! Good luck! Roger Smile

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 5:48 pm    

thank you ! i'd love to get the tab for this but dont see it on the Jeff Newman site. Will try to learn it by ear but if anyone has the tab please let me know !

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 6:01 pm    

www.jeffran.com Jeff Newman and a Few Good Friends audio course, but includes 5 other tunes. Tab book and CD.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 6:09 pm    

Perfect thank you I will order it tomorrow yay Mr. Green

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 9:37 am    

no word from Jeffran. Anyone have any news regarding the wesite ? such great learning material there, would hate to see it shut down Crying or Very sad

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 6:59 pm     Newman track

There is a Bill Ferguson video of Jeff playing this tune at the 1993 ISGC on YouTube. He is doing a bunch of behind the roller nuts string raises in the open position with his fingers. I think its one of the coolest tunes! This one might be a tough one to figure out

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 7:48 am    

I understand their Grand Daughter is going to try and run it. Not sure when things will get to normal. I sure hope it continues, there is still a few things I don't have yet.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 7:50 am    

Jeff was up there with Buddy as a player and master. My opinion, and helped so many to learn a great instrument.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 8:03 am    

Jim Reynolds wrote:
Jeff was up there with Buddy as a player and master. My opinion, and helped so many to learn a great instrument.

+1

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 11:16 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1s054PrC-o

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 11:17 am    

I do believe Jeff played that tune on a 12 string uni. I worked it out on my Uni and the low notes fit and sound perfect. However, you can play it on a 10 string E9th tuning. I've never seen any tab to it, so, I don't know how it's tabbed.

Jerry Maranville

Matheson, CO USA - deceased
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 2:51 pm    

Newman and a Few Good Friends course has it tabbed out on a 10 string and includes where and when to push the various strings in the open position to get the sound. It's quite a feat to learn it.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2016 12:20 pm    

That one I would like to get too.

Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 10:16 pm    

Hi Karen. This is a quite a song to learn. I attended one of his sessions over 30 years ago and he featured this one. I was just learning E 9th. I was so drawn to it, I spent countless hours on it. So I do have the tab and it is for 10 string standard pedal setup. Since you are having trouble getting it from what's left of Jeff and Fran's source I would be happy to to send it to you. I think I also still have the full backing track also that helps a lot. Let's do a PM if you will please. I won't have access to my studio for a couple of days but I will get it for you if you haven't acquired it somewhere else.

Hint: Some of those notes you hear bending, well he did that by putting pressure on the string behind the bridge to raise it a half step. Seriously........

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 8:13 pm    

Not having any luck, getting any response from the Grand Daughter. I called her last week, left msg to call me, but so far nothing. I sure hope she takes it and goes, or lets Rick and Jan take it over. It would be a really sad affair to let all of what Fell and Fran worked for, go to waste.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 8:15 pm    

I have set and watched and listened to this video a couple times. Jeff played a S12 Universal. To me it sounds in places he is using 8-9-10-11 in some combination to get the deep sounding notes. In some places it looks like he is moving his Left knee to reach 4 to 7 pedals and you hear him go to 6th sounding licks. I am finding some of those octave low licks working on a Universal not available on 10 String E9. The notes are on a 10S E9 will make it an octave higher than the video. Good Luck.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 7:11 am    

Bobby, if you get his E9th/B6th book of this course. It really makes more sense then trying to just watch the DVD. The DVD will then make a lot more sense too. It is all really great when put together. He was the real master of the Universal tuning hands down. You'll really like it.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 12:39 pm     A Message from Steve Black someone to give my love to.

Hey Karen, I have a tab from Jeff Newman I can make copies if you still want one. Steve Black, 614-562-2291, Black43230@yahoo.com

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 1:41 pm    

Steven, I wouldn't mind a copy my self, if you wouldn't mind, and it's OK on the forum. I can call you or e-mail.

Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 1:54 pm    

I just talked to Melissa, they had some problems with the phone when she took over, the phone company changed the number. The old number is working and she is taking orders!!