The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Vescovo
Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 1:13 pm    

wow we have lost a great guy and great musican and friend i guess the big band in heaven needed another great person and musican we have lost another long time friend norma jean we will have u in our prayers

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2011 8:22 am     Cool

Al was perhaps the last of the genuinely (and inadvertently) cool musicians.

Jim

Joel Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2011 10:21 am    

great pics, John. Thanks for posting those!

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2011 4:41 am    

got to play the will rodgers follies with al for a week. he played great on steel, acoustic guitar, banjo, and electric guitar. you knew right away that he was a fine musician. at the end of the run, he asked me to take a pic with me and him in it. he did that in every city he worked with every person who played the other guitar book. no body ever did that in all the many years i worked theater shows. rip al

Frank Harris

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2011 7:56 pm     al V

He will be missed at az conv. in 2012 Al, Rest IN Peace,

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2011 2:36 pm    

What a great friend and person he was; our friendship goes back to the 40's; he used to say: If I've got a dollar, you've got 50 cents. My wife and I really enjoyed the time spent with Al and Norma Jean (and bro Pete)a few years ago when Al and Norma came over from California. As for steel guitar, he was A+++ player; ditto for his friendship. Al left Memphis in 1957 in pursuit of his dream: a full time professional musician; after studying guitar with the great Johnny Smith in Colorado a few years, he was well prepared for the Hollywood Studio Musician Scene waiting for him there.

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2011 3:06 am    

A pic of Al at Spazio 2009. John Pisano's Guitar Night

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2011 4:56 am    

This is sad news, This past January, I had the distinct pleasure of watching Al play his set on that 14 string steel...just an awesome performance. Then watching as he played his blonde jazz box backing up other steelers. When his guitar solos came up, he'd always stand and acknowledge his appreciative audience with a little nod. He never mailed in his performances. The world lost an awesome musician and a true gentleman. Godspeed Al Vescovo.

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2011 11:54 am     Rest in peace Al, already you are missed by many

Crying or Very sad So sorry to hear about Al's passing, I knew he was very cool and had a almost beatnik type of attitude, also witnessed his guitar playing which really surprised me, he was quite good, I remember a party at his house where a good many local steel players attended as his Excel and the maker and daughter were also in attendance and everyone was just slap happy giddy about Al's new Excel which had just arrived. This is a sad part of life, My condolences to his wife. Rest in peace Al.

Billy Woo
aka Bronco Billy

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2011 6:01 pm    

Al was a superb player and a very humble man.
RIP Al you have made many very happy with your music.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2011 10:44 pm    

I wasn't a close friend of Al's, but I knew him since the 1970s. He was a great steel player but also a very versatile studio musician who played 6-string guitar, tenor banjo and mandolin. He played on a lot of recordings out of Hollywood you would know. There is a clip on Youtube where you can see him playing on a Sonny and Cher recording session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTjLy_LTcA&feature=related

My favorite thing he did on steel was when he played latin music. He went out a limb a little because most steel players don't play latin tunes, but Al loved to do it and really had the right rhythmic feel. Al vescovo, you will be missed. RIP.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2011 3:57 am     Al. V

Al was a great musician and just as great and humble in his friendship he gave to everyone.
Al and I were working of a dual steel guitar session. It was in the talking stage only, and I was so excited and in awe that he would want me to do this with him.
So saddened by his passing. He will be missed. I first met him in Phoenix a few years ago and became immediate friends. He came up to my room with his guitar and this guy played the best guitar to my steel guitar efforts I have ever enjoyed. Told him I would love to do a session for a cd with just him on guitar. He played more beautiful "passing" chords and in exactly the place and feel in how I was trying to play. Really amazing how that felt to play with this GIANT in our musical world. Go with God, my friend, Al Vescovo.
Bill Stafford

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 12:45 am    

Dan Sawyer wrote:
There is a clip on Youtube where you can see him playing on a Sonny and Cher recording session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTjLy_LTcA&feature=related

Al's the one in the video in the gray suit, smoking a cigarette.

He died of lung cancer.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 2:10 am    

Why oh why am I now discovering Al Vescovo.

I just got 2 albums from Apple music. Does anyone else have the rest they can send me.

??? Whoa!
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"