The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation pre-amp -- pair with any solid state amp?
Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 2:54 am    

All - considering a Sarno Revelation pre-amp. I have a small Roland 80XL now. Any thoughts on how the Revelation would (or not) partner with the Roland? Thanks!

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 3:28 am    

You need a power amp & speaker for that Revelation.
You could probably run the Rev thru the Roland but that would defeat the purpose.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 4:11 am    

You might be able to run the Revelation into the auxiliary input, using the Roland just as a powered speaker.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 5:48 am    

Don’t know that we’re talking the same thing, as I’m not a techie... But because my Session 400 has nothing in the back to plug into, and my Session 500 is noisy when plugged into the back, I plug my Revelation into the front of both... Pre-amping a Preamp... just turn the Revelation Pre and Main gains way down first, and adjust as needed... it sounds awesome.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 8:17 am    

I suppose you can pre-amp a pre-amp, but it's defeating the total control capabilities of the Revelation. Plus, the 500 is capable of anchoring a commercial fishing boat and the extra weight isn't necessary. All you need with the Rev is a rack power amp and a good speaker. I use the Quilter Tone Block, which replicates a tube power amp. Or, I have a Carvin HD 400 rack amp that fits nicely in my rack with the Rev.
It takes a little experimenting, but you can get an awesome tone setting with the Rev. I found the mid and color controls to be the key in fine tuning the tone. Higher treble setting requires more color setting to take the bite (brittle)from the very high frequencies. Your pickup will vary.
I play a U-12 with Telonics 427 Humbucker pickup in the studio. I also play a Zum with TrueTone wound to 18000.Settings: vari-z= 12-2 o'clock
Gain= 6
Treble= 4-6
Middle= 4-7
Color= 6-8
Bass= 7-8
Master= 3-4
Switch= normal
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2016 3:11 pm     Revelation preamp

Just as an FYI:

Brad recommends the following settings for a starting point on a Revelation preamp.

Treble 2.5 to 3
Mids 5
Color 5
Bass 5

I have owned standard Revelations with the 12 AX 7 tubes in the past, and I currently own Octal Revelations. You can't go wrong with either one. They are both excellent units.

If I personally vary at all from these settings, they usually are as follows.

Treble 2.5 to 3
Mids 4
Color 6 to 6.5
Bass 4 to 4.5

What you are using for a power amp and the size and type of speaker will vary these settings some. Dennis is "right on" when it comes to higher treble settings. If you bring the treble up much more than 3, you will need to add more mid's, color and bass to compensate for the change.

My equipment lineup is usually an Emmons PP with BL 710 pickup, through a Revelation rack with M One effect unit in the loop, out to TC Furlong class D powered cabinets with JBL K 130 15" speakers. My other powered speaker option are standard TC Furlong 12" powered splits. The above settings work very well with either powered speaker option.

Just as an added note to the original poster, your tone will be improved even more if you use the 3 cord hookup with this unit as it lets the "black box" section of the Revelation act as a buffer. I find this to be true with either a pot style pedal, or the Telonics pedal which is what I normally use when I play out.

Ray D.

Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2016 2:07 am     Thanks for the replies

All - thanks for the replies on this question. Looks like the original plan wouldn't quite work.....

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2016 5:13 am    

See if you can ahold of a black box to put in front of that roland. Might be what you are looking for.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 5:41 pm    

Gallien Kruger (sp?) manufactures powered bass cabs that sound fantastic with a Sarno preamp, very light and powerful. These units also make great powered extension cabs for a Nashville 112, (run from the direct out on the 112 straight into the GK utilizing a short mic cord),adds a bit more bottom end and considerably more power.