The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U-12
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 11:20 am    

After a very informative phone conversation with Junior Knight this morning I am thinking about making the transition from 10 strings to 12... I like the thought of having 2 tunings for the price of 1 so to speak and the tuning IMHO has a lot more capabilities for tunes I like to hear... Would love to hear from other Universal players pros and cons on this tuning... Slim

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 11:53 am    

Three quick cons:

1. If you have a lot of non-basic levers on your D10 you may not be able to take them all with you.
2. If you are very attached to your 9th string D you may miss it.
3. The top string on C6 (now B6) becomes string 2 - harder to find at first.
4. You have to play the C6 stuff up a fret.

O.K - four cons - but the pros IMO outweigh them - lighter, less maintenance, easy to swap and amalgamate the two tunings, it's even cheaper to restring! And you get extended E9 thrown in.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 12:22 pm    

Thanks Ian I am definately interested in that tuning

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 2:37 pm    

Another possibility is a setup like the Excel 12 string with changeover lever. You only have 12 string neck but:

1) You retain the most used knee levers on both tunings
2) You keep the low D string on E9th
3) You gain an extended E9th tuning with two low strings
4) You keep the C6 tuning at its original fret locations
5) You get to add the original C6 high G string back in, in order
6) You gain two chromatic C6 strings including the modern use of the high D string

Very close to a complete D-10 and even more powerful. Perhaps some would add a few more knee levers to the C6 side of the tuning and there's lots of room under the Excel to do that.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=312577
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 2:45 pm    

Intro to E9th/B6th Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJcb9mYelM

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 8:29 pm    

Bb6 U12 is a great option that, while not heard as much, is every bit as versatile as E9/B6, it's just based on the 6th tuning instead of the E9th - I hope Junior mentioned it, since he's a master of it!

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 8:40 pm    

Thanks to everyone for posting and yes Junior was very informative and did not leave any detail out in his explanation of this tuning.. It looks as if I am going to be going into that tuning and am looking forward to my new steel journey... I am hoping to visit with David Wright soon and see if he will go over his copedent with me as I enjoy his skills and knowledge of the steel... Slim

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 6:58 pm     U12

The Newman U12 tuning has The E9 tuning complete with a lower octave B on 9, And with a knee lever it goes to D giving you the whole E9th tuning you are used to using. After about 17 years of standard E9 I thought I would not like the Unie when I went to that tuning 14 months ago. I find myself Using grips of 8,9,10. And 6,8,9, grip. Which gives you the same notes as 5,6,8 But with an octave lower B which gives a player new ground to explore. If you want the D note, (Mine is set up LKL), Engage the lever and the D note appears. Good Luck and Happy steelin.