The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pot
Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 7:23 am    

Is this normal for the Dunlop volume pot? The taper seems a bit different on a Dunlop pot vs an Allen Bradley or PEC. I just installed a new Tom Bradshaw Dunlop pot in my old silver Goodrich pedal and I can notice a difference in the taper or feel of the pedal. I installed the pot as instructed and it is barely on when in the backed off position, yet my newer model Goodrich with the PEC pot is full off in the up position and when floored is louder than the Dunlop. The taper with the PEC also seems to be smoother. I do notice a larger collar on the newer style Goodrich pedal. Also, are the new Goodrich pots now being sold the same as the Dunlops with the exception of a longer shaft or did Goodrich have Dunlop change the taper. Lots of questions, thanks.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 7:52 am    

The newer Goodrich pots are very similar to the Dunlop pots including the differences that you mentioned. That being said there is a +/- 10% difference in each pot relative to the rotational maximum resistance which appears to be pretty much the industry standard for affordable potentiometers. We at Goodrich have had new collars designed to take maximum advantage of the complete rotation of each pot and Kevin Ryan adjusts each pedal in the assembly process to insure maximum throw without the pot itself limiting the throw (which can lead to premature failure of the pot). The main problem with the PEC pots was the extremely high rate of failure in way too short a period of time limiting their use in an otherwise reliable volume pedal. I would suggest that if you are hearing an unwanted signal when your pedal is in the full off position a simple adjustment will remedy the problem.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 8:23 am    

Thank you Jim. I have one of the newer Goodrich pedals with the larger diameter collar. Is it possible to purchase a larger collar to install on my older pedal so I always have a spare pedal with the same feel when using it with the newer Goodrich volume pot. Thank you.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 8:47 am    

Actually the new collar has a smaller diameter and used primarily in the low profile pedals as their inherent throw is less. That being said- we'll help you in anyway that we can always.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 9:00 am    

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 5:25 am    

Hi Morton,
I am the Atlanta, GA dealer for Goodrich.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Thanks
Bill
770-921-7253
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.