The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wireless system
Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 2:43 am    

I am thinking of trying a wireless system on my steel, and before I buy one ,has anyone tried one on steel? If so how did they find it? Thanks.

Jimmy.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 3:46 am    

I've not tried one, but the newest versions seem pretty reliable for six string.
I'm curious, Jimmy. Assuming that you're not gonna carry your steel around the stage during a performance, what advantage it would give you?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 9:44 am    

I agree with Jason. Why add more things that can go wrong.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 10:14 am    

I would advise against it as in some clubs,bars etc.while guitarist/singers can move about getting rid of noises,a steel player can't and you would be stuck with it.

The only advantage I see to having it would be during soundcheck, to sit in front of the PA to adjust your tone to your liking then go back to the stage and use cables.

The other con is you always have to make sure you have good batteries which are often forgotten about until it's too late.

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 12:17 am    

Thanks Guy,s,but as I said It was only a thought, the reason I started this topic is a band member got an electric shock when he touched his guitar and mike stand,luckily it only made him jump,but it could have been nasty, and I just wondered had he been using a wireless system if he would have got a shock ?it turned out to be a bad earth on his amp,he was very lucky. I will try a wireless system just out of interest to see if it works.Thanks....

Jimmy.

Last edited by Jimmy Gibson on 12 Feb 2017 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 5:32 am    

You could use an isolation transformer in your Audio chain

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 1:36 am    

Glenn Demichele wrote:
You could use an isolation transformer in your Audio chain

We do use a cut out switch on our main plug board, and it did trip when he got the shock,had we not he could have been badly electrocuted.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 9:20 am    

Jason Lynch wrote:
I've not tried one, but the newest versions seem pretty reliable for six string.
I'm curious, Jimmy. Assuming that you're not gonna carry your steel around the stage during a performance, what advantage it would give you?

Are you planning on doing some Chuck Berry-like moves with the PSG, or are you doubling on some portable "want to be wireless" instrument? I think the "wireless" people in the band use Shure's - Most of us are just tethered to our amp, DI, whatever, and the drummer and percussionist are acoustic (with mic's) Laughing

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 3:58 pm    

We'll I decided last night to try a wireless system on my steel, for the last set ,and it worked
absolutely great,and I thought that the steel sounded better,with no loss of the tone changing when I backed off the volume,it sounded cleaner throughout the full travel of my Goodrich volume pot pedal.

Jimmy.

James Winger

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 12:37 pm    

Jimmy Gibson wrote:
We'll I decided last night to try a wireless system on my steel, for the last set ,and it worked
absolutely great,and I thought that the steel sounded better,with no loss of the tone changing when I backed off the volume,it sounded cleaner throughout the full travel of my Goodrich volume pot pedal.

Jimmy.

I have no experience with wireless on steel (but have used them in other applications, not just guitar) and they've come a long long way, especially the digital units.
A few years ago, parts of the RF spectrum got reaollocated, so the new ones actually use different bands (not that means "better" itself)

but yeah, while there are still analog units out there...the digital ones don't have a lot of the interference and fading problems and they auto channel select.

Then there is the buffering effects, not just in terms of grounding safety, but like you were mentioning. You don't really have the same cable impedence and your pickups are getting buffered so there isn't the passive loading effects that can happen.

It's another component, sure, so there are plusses and minuses and I'd have a cable always at the handy to roll back to should it become needed

but hey, whatver works

Last edited by James Winger on 13 Feb 2017 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 1:35 pm    

...for the isolation transformer, two direct boxes plugged in back to back with the ground lifted might do it. No batteries either.