The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Script Warnings
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 3:00 pm    

Does anyone know the source of script warnings? Over the last six months, my high speed internet connection has slowed down to about what it used to be in the dial up days. Unresponsive scrip messages show up on most popular sites. I can't imagine there being so many bad programmers that can't write a routine that works.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 4:41 pm    

If you would let us know what operating system and browser versions you are using, I or we can give a better guess about the causes of your script errors.

Please know that if you are running an outdated browser, or unsupported operating system, your browser may not recognize modern scripting codes. That would explain script errors.

Outdated browser include Internet Explorer 10 and under, Firefox 50 and under, Chrome 55 and under and Opera 42 and under. Of these, Internet Explorer 8 and under are about the worst when it comes to rendering modern CSS and JavaScript codes, unless the Webmaster has included special "shim" codes to help Internet Exploder understand codes beyond its comprehension.

Note, that web page script errors are also known to be caused by bad browser extensions and plug-ins. Some are outdated and just need to be updated to a current version. Others are up to no good and need to be dragged out of your browser and dropped into a bit bucket in Hell. Review any and all extensions/add-ons and plug-ins, as well as any programs that interact with your browser to alter the home page, search results, or themes.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 5:20 pm    

I use firefox and as far as I know it is the latest version. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on this computer and professional on another. Sometimes i use Ubuntu.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 11:48 pm    

You can find the version of Firefox and check for updates at the same time by finding the "Help" menu (may be under the 3 dot settings icon), then "About Firefox." The version will be displayed. If a newer version is available it will begin downloading automatically, unless you have chosen to disregard automatic updates (not recommended!). Once the is downloaded you will see a button appear telling you to Restart Firefox to install the update.

Note, that sometimes an update to Firefox will break some extensions. If the authors are maintaining the extensions, they usually develop a patched version within a day of an update (but sometimes a week or more). The NoScript Add-On is one of the first to be updated when things change in the Firefox engine.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 11:52 pm    

James, feel free to send me a PM with links to some of the websites that are causing the script error popups on your pc. I'll check them out and let you know if I have the same problem, or if it's just you. I can check a website with four browsers. If my current (auto-updates) version of Firefox throws an exception, I will look at the source code of that page. It could be that the website is using poor/outdated JavaScript codes, or an external script they are embedding is missing, damaged, or outdated (or malicious).