The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you play by ear ? Self taught ?
David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 9:11 am    

Self-taught, play by ear, and no, I'm not satisfied, especially a couple days after seeing the Time Jumpers.....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 11:42 am    

I think it's important to have some guidance, either in person lessons or good quality courses. The Jeff Newman steel guitar courses helped me, I don't think I could have learned without them. It is important to develop good technique, I don't believe these things come instinctively. Learning bad habits at the beginning just makes it harder.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 1:39 pm    

Music existed long before theory came along to explain what people were accomplishing.
Music Theory is simply a way to explain the music we hear.
You can be a good musician without ever studying theory and as a good musician, you already know a lot of theory, only lacking the terminology to express it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 1:50 pm    

I think that's well put, Stuart. But as one's ideas and musical ambitions broaden the ability to express ourselves in a cogent manner to other musicians becomes more important. And, while reading may be optional to many, it does have to be learned.

I'm amazed that some players I've encountered can't even discuss a sequence of notes in terms of scale degrees. Hearing simple intervals and being able to apply them in one's head as well as knowing their relationship within a melody seems paramount to me - how can we play new music without that ability?

There's always learning a bunch of licks by rote and throwing them out there in the hope that they find a spot to land, I suppose, but that holds little appeal for me.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 1:52 pm    

I learned to play six string when I was about 14 and then took up fiddle when I was 30. I started on steel at 45. Most of my playing was done on my own from records and tapes etc. Of course, I was around a lot of good fiddle players at the contest and such which really brought me to another level of playing fiddle. I had some help on steel at first from some local players. I do read music very slowly. That's how I learned a lot of fiddle tunes.
Have never applied it to steel guitar. I've developed a knack for just hearing where a song goes(what chord)by playing many years on Opry shows doing different stuff all time. I do get fooled every now and then, LOL, especially with this new stuff that has no tune to it.
Bill Moore made an excellent point about bad habits because they do make it a lot harder. I worked on technique as much as I worked on learning new licks which I think helped me.

Yes, I do play by ear!!

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 1:53 pm    

What little I know, I taught myself by paying attention to other players.
I did get a couple of Jeff Newman courses to learn some basics.

There was no YouTube or computer to help
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 9:13 pm    

I read and write standard music notation. I started reading music and taking guitar lessons when I was 8 yrs old, I turn 49 in August. Seems like I have always read music.

I studied guitar, music theory, rehearsal techniques, conducting, transcribing, and arranging at the US Army School of Music. I served in the Army as an MOS Guitar Player - full time, everyday for 22 years. Was a great way to see the world.

Knowing theory, intervals, chord spellings, tritone substitutions, scales, etc... has helped my pedal steel / dobro playing immensely.

Also fluent in the Nashville Number System, as used in Nashville.. all of the symbols, shorthand, and notation techniques. I use it quite a bit especially when transcribing chord changes of a song I am learning.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 5:17 pm     Yes but....

Self-taught, play by ear, thought that was obvious?
Embarassed Whoa! Shocked
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.