The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonic pickup suggestions/update
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 9:25 am    

Considering a Telonics pickup for my Emmons SKH SD-10, seeking suggestions for which model ('206' has my interest). Currently have a Truetone installed, great tone but at one club that we play in particular the dreaded hum is very pronounced (most likely due to outdated wiring in the building).

Last edited by David Nugent on 25 Feb 2017 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 4:37 pm    

hi David
i would suggest trying out the 409 ! I have them on both necks of my two Zum Hybrids and they are outstanding.
I have a 206 which I have installed on the C6th neck of my MCI welded frame D10 which I am currently rebuilding and expect it to be stellar. Dave told me that the 206 was designed to be more suitable for the C6th neck - I originally had it in an older Zum of mine and it was brilliant so I am expecting it to be great in the MCI. There is no adjustment in it like the 409 however, so if you take a bit of time adjusting the 409 for each string you will find it to be an outstanding choice. I also had TT's in my Zums but prefer the 409's - I've recorded a lot with this pickup and it is an all rounder without peer in my opinion.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 10:43 pm    

I agree with Paddy regarding the 409 pickup. I have it on my Zum Hybrid SD10 and it is super. I am going to install one on my LG111 shorty as well.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 12:59 am    

David,I have a Telonics 206 on one of my Desert Rose guitars and love it,It replaced a Lawrence LX
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 4:52 am    

Thanks to all who replied. The 409 appears to be a popular choice, may order one this week...Thanks again.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 10:57 am    

I agree 100% with the Telonics/Zum guru Paddy Long. I have a 409 on my E9 neck on my Zum and a 206 on my C6 neck. Great pickups. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 4:17 pm    

gee ken looks like I'm buying the first round in Dallas :-}

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 6:58 am     Telonics pick-ups...

Has anyone measured the resistance on the 409 and 206?
I'm thinking of those for my pushpull which has the original Emmons pick-ups that read around 17.5.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 10:51 am    

I put a 409 in the E9 neck of my '67 Emmons bolt-on, just to try. It's still there over a year later if that says anything Wink

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 9:46 am    

Tommy..Ordered a '409' today. If it sounds that good in a P/P, should work well in my SKH...Thanks again to all.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 9:48 am    

Cool David! I think you will be happy Wink

Let us know how it goes....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 10:40 am    

Telonics '409' pickup is installed in my Emmons and must agree, all that has been written concerning these units is the absolute gospel. This thing sounds amazing! Having been a devoted user of Truetone pickups for the last ten years or so, never thought that I would find a replacement that I liked as well, but this unit fills the bill in spades. Will be a pleasure not to endure the persistent hum at the job next Friday night as well. A large thank you to the members who were kind enough to reply and recommended this model.

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 11:33 am    

David glad you liked the 409's ... they will grow on you even more as you play them Very Happy

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 1:36 pm    

Thanks to Paddy's advice, I put a 409PW in my Zum Hybrid D-10 and WOW!! This pickup is amazing!! The tone and clarity is without comparison. And something even more important... The service from Dave and Sophie at Telonics is amazing! When you call for help you don't get a switchboard operator or someone who has "heard" of these pickups...you'll get the man himself... Dave. And a nicer person you will never ever meet. They will spend whatever amount of time needed to help you out and make sure that you are completely satisfied.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:34 pm    

When I take a steel with a single coil out , I always take a Hum Debugger with me. Works great for me .

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 12:59 am    

Interesting!
I recently changed to a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp and TC Electronics G-major 2 effects unit (in front of my Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp) and find this to be a rather quiet signal path. But now I am annoyed by the hum of my TT 19.5k pickup on my ZUM S-12 Universal. I have it for 12 years but it was not that present in my previous set ups (Digitech 2120VGS, Peavey Tubefex). I did notice it when I installed the TT and reduced it slightly by earthing it to the changer and the aluminium neck.

For some reason I can not dial out the 50 Hz hum using the equalizer in the G-major 2. I wonder why, any ideas?

Anyway, this Telonics 409 pickup might also help me to improve my sound. I checked the Telonics website but this model does not seem available any more. They mention types 128, 151 and 183 for 12 stringers.

Paddy, David, how would you describe the sound of the 409 versus a TT 19.5k? Any pictures to share maybe?

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 4:19 am    

Ad..The '409' pickup to my ears sounded very close in characteristics to my Truetone wound to 17.5K. Very slight adjustment to my amp was necessary to dial in a similar tone...FYI: The '409' model may not be listed but is available as far as I am aware. Telonics pickups are normally wound to order so a short lead time may be required.

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 4:13 pm    

Ad there is also a 12 string version of the 409 - get in touch with Telonics and they will tell which model it is.