The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can't survive a gig without a volume pedal? Carry a spare!
Kevin Milner

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 3:14 pm    

I was setting up my rig for the first of 3 shows on a 3 night cruise last month when my worst fear came true - my Hilton volume pedal was dead. No signal made it through the pedal. I carry a backup power supply, but that didn't fix it (I have had one of the supplies die on me in the past, and luckily had a backup), it was the pedal itself. So now I'm stranded on a cruise with 3 gigs and no volume pedal! Luckily the guitar player in the band had an Ernie Ball VP Jr on his board that he could live without, and loaned it to me for the trip. I made it through the weekend, but that really got me nervous.

So, as a PSA, always carry a backup! Seriously. I didn't want to spend a ton on a backup, and don't have any extra room in my seat, so I decided to to buy a cheap BOSS FV-50L for $40 on Craigslist. It only weighs 1 pound, and I dual locked it to the inside of my amp so it will always be with me. I hope to never, ever, use it, but it is comforting to know it's there. NOTE: if you decide to go the same route as me, get the FV-50L if you place your pedal after a buffer (in a loop from your amp, after a buffered pedal/black box or similar), but get the FV-50H if you plug the steel directly into your volume pedal.

Don't make the same mistake I did!

P.S. $65 later (including shipping each way) I have my Hilton pedal back, repaired by Keith.
Effects: Cali76-CD Compressor -> EP booster -> Sarno Earth Drive -> Earthquaker Devices Zap Machine -> Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter Phaser -> Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk III -> Malekko Envelope Filter -> Hilton VP -> Pedal Projects Klone -> Tech 21 Blonde -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Electronics Spark Mini Boost -> Strymon Lex -> Strymon Flint

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 3:57 pm    

I keep a Goodrich as a spare in my cable/junk bag. Been there - luckily at the end of the last set of the night. It was an encore and loud was ok Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 4:05 pm    

I hear you. I've been there a time or three. I had the string come unwrapped on a Goodrich just as I was setting up for a steel show. Luckily, I was able to borrow one from another steeler. Another time, I left my main pedal and my spare at home, but happened to have an EV-5 in my tote. And I've had to play without a vp a couple times. You might be surprised how quick you can get used to that.

Looks like Glenn Taylor's little Moyo pedal would be ideal. Not much bigger than a stomp box. Good reviews, but a little pricey for my current state just to carry for a spare.

I do have a couple other big ones though. Usually keep a spare in my vehicle, seat or my bag.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 7:10 pm    

Thanks for the advice. I have been using a Telonics for about 4 years I guess and kept a Goodrich in the pac-a-seat just in case. About six months ago I took it out to save weight. Guess I will put it back in!

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 9:05 pm     You Just Can't Have to Many Vol. Pedals.

I carry "3" Emmons fixed pin pedals to every gig. All with good pots and strings.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 4:39 am    

When we play, I take a backup for everything but the steel guitar. I even take one of my little Cube amps as a backup. (One time my Evans amp pooped out during the second set...lesson learned.) If I am wearing a white shirt I even take an extra white shirt, ever since the BBQ sauce incident. Oh Well

I've even thought about wearing both a belt and suspenders.
You can't be too careful! Surprised

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 7:34 am    

Got a spare in the trunk.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 9:09 am    

https://www.facebook.com/Moyovolumepedal/

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 9:13 am    

I've had the power supply die twice before 2 gigs on my Hilton. If I hadn't had my Goodrich LDR-2 with me, they would have been really rough nights.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 10:15 am    

At one gig or another over the years I think I've had every piece of equipment go on the blink. That includes a Super-Pro where two of its pot-metal bell cranks broke in a single night. The most recent incident was a trusty ole' Goodrich whose pot decided to go bad in the noisiest way.

I pack backups for everything except, because of their bulk and weight,
the steel and amp. If a steel goes "down" on a gig I can ... just ... get by without negatively impacting the song or artist by switching necks or by playing the neck as a strictly open tuning without pedals or knees. An amp going bad on a gig is a tough one. In that case, as a last resort, I'll usually go direct into the PA and hope for the best. Those situations have been really rare, though, in part due to the effort I put into keeping equipment the best it can be, condition-wise. You know, "An ounce of prevention......"

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 2:00 pm    

I'm another who packs the wee Moyo pedal. It's the perfect spare. I've used it for full gigs and it's just fine - I don't even think about it while I'm playing. True, it's not cheap, but I think it's very fairly priced considering the nice design, great build quality, Dunlop pot, and the fact that it's not mass-produced in China. And it fits in the pedal bar/leg compartment of the steel case... how cool is that?

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 7:24 pm     No volume pedal

I've had a couple of gigs where the volume pedal went south and finished the gig without the pedal . I sometimes practice without a volume pedal just to be able to handle the situation . I have 5 volume pedals laying around but try to keep them all well maintained so I don't have problems on a gig anymore . It's been years since I've had a failure on a gig .

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 3:04 am    

so are we saying it's time to change the pot and the string on my Goodrich 120 which I have been using now for about 15 years with no maintenance ? Question

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:31 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
so are we saying it's time to change the pot and the string on my Goodrich 120 which I have been using now for about 15 years with no maintenance ? Question

The only times my trusty Goodrich 120's have failed me on a gig is when the string slipped off the shaft. It was much quicker to grab the spare 120 than to open up the pedal and restring it.

Now I make it a habit to open up both of them every few months and check the string tension.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 6:57 am    

Although discontinued, the DOD vcc-1 is also very compact to carry as a backup.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 10:26 am    

i always think it`s a risk, but have been too lazy to carry a 2nd volume pedal to the gig Confused

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 6:34 am    

That's one of the reasons I use a pot-pedal. Pots always fail very slowly, so there's nothing to go catastrophic but the string, and I have an extra one taped inside the pedal. Should it ever break, 10 minutes (with no tools) will get it working again, since the bottom of the pedal just snaps on. Cool

Jeff Porter

Stumptown, OR, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 7:40 am    

Just saw this yesterday:
http://digitech.com/en/products/dod-mini-volume
$99 street. Would make a great spare.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 10:41 am    

Or you can get a good spare that was designed to be used in the seated position - The Stage One volume pedal for $100.

http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/volume_pedal

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 5:55 pm    

Doug, I recently picked up a used Stage One pedal, and I must say I like it quite a bit. Lightweight but stable, and looks very reliable but also easy to work on should the need arise. Feels smooth when playing. Nice pedal.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 8:47 pm    

Thank you for the kind words Bruce. Some of the other well known pros are using them and seem to be well satisfied.

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 8:58 am    

I never left home without a spare peddal.