The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Restoring 1991 Remington Steelmaster
Ray Beck

Texas, USA - Resides in Pensacloa, FL
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 7:10 am    

This picture was posted by Steve Green on the Steel Guitar Forum in a for sale advertisement prior to my purchasing it 1 year ago in 2016. When cleaning the guitar, the decal washed off. Hopefully I can get another.

In side the area for wiring, this sticker shows the guitar was No. 14 and manufactured in June 1991. Steve said that he purchased it in Nashville, TN, so from the looks of this guitar it has been played and played often. This wiring was terrible and the guitar had a loud hum when plugged in, so I decided to change out the original single coil pickups and replace the with George L 10-1 Humbucking pickups.

The other component/wiring area.

To eliminate any possible outside interference, I lined both compartments with foil.

The compartment covers on each side are where the Volume/Tone Potentiometers mount and a SPST Miniature Switch for turning the associated neck On/Off. The hole for mounting the switch we a little too large, so I bought a plastic engineers ruler, cut and sized it to fit the cover and super glued it to the cover.

Here is a picture of the underside of one of the covers. I also applied foil to the cover, so component/wired area is completely sealed to protect from inteferance.

From the old wiring, I couldn't decipher exactly how the guitar was wired, so I opened up my Sierra 8, which also has the George L 10-1 Pickup, and used it a guide to wire the Remington. I wired each neck compartment exactly, with the exception of soldering the hot wire of the George L pickups to their respective Neck ON/OFF switches.

Finished wiring on one neck pictured here.

She is a beauty and plays & sounds great. No humming or buzzing.

In the first photo of the guitar you will notice a decal that says Remington Steel. When cleaning the guitar, the decal washed off. Hopefully I can get another.

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2021 12:39 pm    

So all these years later, have you ever put the original single coils back in? We you able to get a decal? I need to get one made.