The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use Amplitube?
Richard Johnson

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:25 pm    

I have a pretty big set up for work and usually limited space, so I've started sending my steel direct to my laptop and using Amplitube amp modeling software.

Anyone else use this at all? I've been messing around with the Fender amps and they do ok. It's never gonna be as good a real amp, but for what I need it's doing the job.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 5:12 am    

I haven't tried Amplitude, but I had several others including TH3, Guitar Rig 5, POD Farm and an older Peavey Revalver. I haven't found anything I like for Pedal steel in those.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 8:35 am    

I use the Amplitude Fender series when I'm traveling and need something really portable. I love the '57 Bassman sound (though you need to use your own reverb) and also like the Twin Reverb. I play it through Amplitude's iLoud speaker which somehow bypasses the latency of an ios device. For the sound I'm looking for, I love and am amazed by the tone - it has that sweetness. It's the only decent Fender tone I've encountered in a modeling app. The iLoud isn't loud enough for a gig unless it's a really quiet one in a small room, and, though a solution probably exists, I'm unaware if this would work with a power amp.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 8:20 pm    

I use Amplitube 3 & Revalver 3 and vary rarely mic up an amp anymore. I am finding that I am liking the Jet City models for lap steel.

By using an old M-Audio Fast Track I can plug my laptop into any amp or powered speaker just fine. I have had less luck just going out from the headphone jack into and amp or speaker, but it DOES work.... Cool

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 8:45 pm    

Bias Amp is pretty amazing.

Richard Johnson

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 9:26 pm    

Cool, thanks everyone. I've been liking the '57 Bassman too, I'll try it with a separate reverb. I run it as a VST in Ableton and then out my RME Fireface audio interface. That goes direct to the bands mixer and I get it back in my in-ear monitors. I'm running keyboards and midi through Ableton too, so it all works together for a good setup in small spaces where I can't use a real amp. The whole band goes direct to the board so it's been working pretty good so far for the sound guys too, as far as balancing the whole band mix.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 11:11 am    

Quote:
Bias Amp is pretty amazing.

+1, and I've had a bunch of the others mentioned above to compare against. It was 59.00 bux at Sweetwater a few weeks ago, which is a real bargain.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 12:16 pm    

I use Amplitube 3 to varying levels of satisfaction for some recording work. I even played around with using it, my MOTU UltraLite AVB, and my PC for a live rig. I haven't pulled the trigger and done it yet. I would probably try it in a studio situation before actually doing it on stage.

On a similar train of thought, I'm trying out the Line 6 POD HD500X as a replacement for my live touring rig. It's certainly levels of better than the XT family of products that I used, and it's a lot less expensive than the very popular Kemper.

David Spires