Author Topic:  Buddy in "Sideman"
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 8:44 am    

From the archives.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 9:13 am    

I have that copy somewhere Frank. That's the track they say Mr.Emmons played on, I guess it's a Wings outtake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HotdEwzzEDM

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 10:08 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 10:10 am    

thanks for sharing, gentlemen.

a session with Steely Dan? now that I'd like to hear. color me skeptical

what's the name of the Wings song Joachim? your link is coming up dead here

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 11:32 am    

Scott, as with Steely Dan, he also didn't play with Little Feat to my knowledge. The Denny Laine (Wings) song's name is "Send Me The Heart That's Been Broken" there are half a dozen posts on YouTube. Good luck!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 1:43 pm    

thank you sir.
odd that the article would erroneously list two different bands that Buddy *didn't* record with, there were certainly plenty others to choose from.

that's Buddy alright...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vjZu9_V6g

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 1:57 pm    

I just finished the Little Feat biography, Willin' by Ben Fong-Torres, no mention of Buddy anywhere in the book. And along with being one of the more hardcore Feat fans you'll ever meet, I also have zero recollection of Buddy ever being involved on any of their projects.

And it was Lloyd Green who was known to have recorded with McCartney and company.

Makes you wonder how the author of the Sideman article ever came up with this stuff back in the day.

I need to find some reading glasses somewhere in the house, the article Michael shared is too blurry on my screen.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 2:13 pm    

I just finished the Little Feat biography, Willin' by Ben Fong-Torres, no mention of Buddy anywhere in the book...

There's only only one little conection, Mark. On "Tarzana Kid" by John Sebastian, Buddy is credited playing along with Lowell on "Dixie Chicken". Either he's so far burried in the mix or or he wasn't playing at all. Some other songs have him but not very audible.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 3:23 pm    

Hey Joachim -

I couldn't open allmusic.com but I did find this mention of Buddy at the end of the fourth paragraph of the article below:

http://www.richieunterberger.com/sebastian4.html

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 3:59 pm    

Okay Joachim, I'll buy that. But I went back to check out the book again to make sure I didn't miss anything there - I just finished it last week and want to make sure early senility is not setting in, and Buddy didn't get mentioned anywhere in the pages where John Sebastian was written about in the book.

So as far as Lowell and the Sebastian take on Dixie Chicken - who knows if George were even in the studio the same time as Buddy? I think this one deserves an asterisk (*) as being sort of a token mention, and a real stretch. Wink

I did find some cool stuff online from Sebastian in the re-written liner notes for the CD release of that album mentioning Mr. Emmons:

Quote:
"The idea was because I didn't have a group, I should take advantage of not having a group and let the tune determine the player," declares Sebastian. "So some of those little interludes, like where we're playing 'Wild Wood Flower'—that was an opportunity to take a guy I knew [David Grisman, who also plays mandolin on that track]; I knew his talents." John also reserves special praise for a few players who might not be as well known to the public as the names in the preceding paragraph, but made major contributions to Tarzana Kid, such as guitarist Amos Garrett, who'd put his mark on country-rock as part of Great Speckled Bird with Ian & Sylvia. "He may not have been that well known in the bigger circles, but [Lovin' Spoonful guitarist] Zal Yanovsky regarded this guy as the shit," points out Sebastian. As for pedal steel player Buddy Emmons, with whom he had worked back on John B. Sebastian, "He really represented the big kids, to me. Buddy Emmons warming up is better than most guys playing at the top of their game."

Amen to that last line!

Of course we have been inundated with Fake News and Alternative Truths, but sometimes you can't even believe everything you read from what you think is a trusted source, not so much because it is made up stuff, but because the writer flat out gets the story wrong.

I have always respected Ben Fong-Torres as a writer, he goes back to the olden days of The Rolling Stone when they were still in my neck of the woods in San Francisco, but he got this wrong, an example of a few times where he had me scratching my head during the course of the book:

There's the classic line in Old Folks Boogie by Paul Barrere where he sings, "You know that you're over the hill/when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill..."

Fong-Torres writes that in one of his interviews with Paul for the book that "Barrere confesses, now, that he took the line from his father who'd been in a vaudeville theater in New York and would walk around repeating jokes he heard at work..."

What? "Confesses now?" The book was published in 2013. I can remember on at least a few occasions where either before or after the song Paul Barrrere gave credit to his dad from the stage for that line. And after hearing the song I have used it on many occasions over the years because it's so clever - and this goes back close to 40 years now.

Thanks Mr. Barrere senior.

I guess Ben Fong-Torres wasn't at any of those Little Feat shows...

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 3 Feb 2017 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:31 pm    

Mark on a somber note I never liked "Old Folks Boogie"... it just isn't romantic. But there seems to be some interesting stuff in that book.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:40 pm    

Yeah, I guess it's not very romantic - but then I if my mom and dad were still alive, I don't know that they would think the line below were particularly romantic even though it has to do with the opposite sexes, but it's one of my all-time favorites to begin a song. Laughing

Spotcheck Billy got down on his hands and knees

He said "Hey momma, let me check your oil all right?"

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:25 am    

I knew that the Emmons Guitar Company was one of the major players back in the day, but did not realize that it was "the world's largest manufacturer of steel guitars."