The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D10 for a beginner(and beyond)
Keith Browning

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 3:05 pm    

I'm looking to buy my first pedal steel. I've been lurking for a while. I'd like to follow the advice of the experienced and buy something I can grow into for a long time.

I've been playing guitar and other stringed instruments since I was a child and I've taught at a couple of music schools, so I'm familiar enough with music and vibrating wires. I've never actually seen a pedal steel in person but I've done a lot of research. I've always loved the sound but I never knew about the mechanics of the instrument until this past year. Now I'm captivated and super excited to begin learning. Seems like it'll be a long road but I'm pretty young.

I'm not super picky and I'm open to suggestions (although I like the idea of having the LKV lever). I've been selling some stuff and should be able to spend around $2000.

Thanks for reading. Very Happy

Last edited by Keith Browning on 25 Feb 2017 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Keith Browning

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 5:36 pm    

For anyone browsing/feeling helpful: Would this be a good buy?

https://reverb.com/item/3448857-mullen-d10-light-brown-woodgrain-8x5-pedal-steel-with-case

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 6:17 pm    

Judging by the fretboards, the screws in the endplates, the enclosed keyhead tuners etc., I would guess this is a very late 80's to early 90's build. There are no pics of the mechanics underneath, so no help there.

Mullen guitars are high quality fine precision instruments that play easily and have a nice sound. 8 pedals, 5 knees... plenty there to last you a lifetime.

I would say that is in the fair to perhaps slightly high price range, provided it's as nice as it appears and has a decent case etc..

It would be nice to have the serial number to date it and see some shots of the underside though.

On revisiting the ad, I notice someone has added the split screws at the neck. Appears to be a professional addition...another plus.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 7:59 pm    

I have a Sierra Artist D10 listed in the Steel Guitars For Sale section. This is a lightweight, well made guitar that would serve you for a long time.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Keith Browning

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 8:16 pm    

Thanks for the input, Jerry. This same steel is on eBay with a few more pictures including the underside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mullen-D10-Pedal-Steel-Guitar-8X5-with-Case-Great-Cond-Reduced-/112263708905?hash=item1a237040e9:g:EtcAAOSwImRYXnyB

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 9:08 pm    

Keith, I sent a reply with some info to your Private Messages. JO.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 6:47 am    

Keep an eye out for a used GFI Ultra... Very 'beginner-friendly', but still a pro guitar. $2000 is too little for a new D10, but used ones pop up on the forum quite often in that price range. I've also heard good things about GFI's "Expo" line, but haven't played one myself.

Keith Browning

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 11:36 am    

Thanks, Jeff. I had actually contacted a forum member to buy a GFI D10 last week but it was sold as I was making inquiries. So maybe I should be a little more hasty next time. I'm not sure why, but GFI is my 'gut feeling' brand that I'm partial to for no good reason.

Lately I've been wondering if maybe I should just go with a S10.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 11:44 am    

Keith,I'm in Newberry,SC. If you come over sometime I'd be happy to show you the difference between my Carter, Emmons and Rains D-10s and what to avoid.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 1:27 pm    

Keith Browning wrote:
Thanks, Jeff. I had actually contacted a forum member to buy a GFI D10 last week but it was sold as I was making inquiries. So maybe I should be a little more hasty next time. I'm not sure why, but GFI is my 'gut feeling' brand that I'm partial to for no good reason.

Lately I've been wondering if maybe I should just go with a S10.

Your gut is likely serving you well. GFI's require very little maintenance, and are quite easy to make copedant changes.

As to whether to go with an S10 or a D10... That will depend on what songs you are drawn to. If you want to play western swing-type big chords (as in "Night Life" or "All My Ex's"), then you want a D10. Otherwise, an S10 will get you over 90% of the sounds that have been popular over the last four decades. Also, that would allow you to consider a new steel from many brands.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 1:55 pm    

An S12 universal might suit you well. You can get some of the stuff from each neck. If I was just starting out, I would definitely have checked out a universal. You would probably find one for less than the price of a D10.

I would like to go to an S12 now. My D10 is getting real hard for me carry.