The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Printing tab. Sheet music and all things music
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 8:18 am    

Well all the latest printers seem to be scams.
If you’ve had a newer one long enough (I should say short enough) to run out of ink in one cartridge you know what I’m talking about.
Things like I changed the Ink cartridges that were out and now it says that the ink cartridges are out dated or it doesn’t recognize that I’ve changed the ink cartridge and of course it wont print.
So I hook up my old printer and my PC won’t recognize it and so on and so on, I could go on all day
I took all my printers out to the dumpster and beat them all to a pulp with a hammer.
I just put all my printing in an email and send it to my local UPS store and pick it up an hour later.
I get better printing and in the long run spend less money not to mention no longer having to go through all the mental abuse and anxiety brought on by having my own #%$^&*^%$# printer.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 9:50 am    

I'm in the section called "Pedal Steel - Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc."

Can someone direct to me to the Office Stationery section please?

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 4:33 pm    

The etc. part of the equation is usually given a wide birth here.
Related issues are frequently discussed among them things such as Tab, Nashville Numbers, all kinds of transcribing and teaching materials etc..
The printer is as valuable as a microphone in reproducing music for teaching purposes.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 5:05 pm    

It's called getting a decent printer to start with, then using commercial size containers and setup so u never remove the cartridge(s) as you insert a blunt hypo needle from the commercial ink containers (in my case 8 oz bottle for each color (6) in my Kodak)into the vent hole on all cartridges I've seen, and you're done, always check the printer site for updated drivers. Look at the container case once in a while ,and if a color is getting low, refill the selected container from a set of 6 Quart bottles of factory replacement ink(my setup).You can find already made setups for many popular inkjets, or get creative and do it.Voila cheap easy printing ,no more whinning. Mine has been printing for 7+ years so far.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 5:42 pm    

Thanks Storm. I'm not saying you're wrong but I can think of a million ways that could go wrong for me and buying ink by the jug has got to be a considerable loss if it didn't work for me.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 6:13 pm    

It works ,I didn't dream this up , commercial entities have been doing this for many moons it's a tried and proven method..just sayin. Oh and ink in quantity in a bottle not a cartridge is remarkably cheap.And I don't mind being told I'm wrong and it's hairbrained, etc. I'll just defer your query to my inkjet printer J/K. Stormy Winking

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 7:44 pm    

Off-brand inks may not always work.
I'm not saying this to shill for OEM, who have been kinda odious, but I have worked in office equipment, and off-brand is often not even formulated the same, never mind manufactured to formula.
I'd print on as low a resolution as you can tolerate, so the ink will last longer.
If you've found a brand X ink that works, that's cool, but office supplies are a big ol' range of caveat emptor

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 8:14 pm    

I use genuine Kodak ink, which they can supply by the qt,case, or more. Big surprise, it's compounded by some Chinese co. Cool

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 11:47 pm    

I've moved this post from Pedal Steel to Computers.

Ink jet printers are a rip off. Laser printers give you a long cartridge run for your money. I get 8 to 10 months from one at the office, printing every day. Carts cost about 80 bucks. No color, though.

I remember buying a Dell computer with a printer because the package was actually cheaper than the computer alone. I threw the printer away. What a waste. It came with "starter" ink carts.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 9:47 am    

I have an Epson Photo printer with multiple toner cartridges. You only replace the one that's empty.
I use recycled cartridges and Epson doesn't like it, but they work so what the heck! Very Happy

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 10:11 am    

how old is your printer things have changed!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 10:44 am    

I've gone through a lot of printers, all inkjets. I used to use Canon multi-cart printers that had a separate print head. When the print head got clogged up the printer was useless, even with new ink carts. I have since moved to an HP OfficeJet that uses one XL color and one XL black cartridge. I buy replacements as needed. The caveat is that I don't do a lot of printing. If I did, I would buy a laser printer.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 1:22 pm    

I bought a refurbished Brother Laser Printer at least 15 years ago. It is a dual paper drawer, office type printer, not a consumer printer. Paid $99 for the printer, and $80 for a new toner cartridge about 7 or 8 years ago. It works fine with windows 10. Wish I could get that kind of mileage out of my computers. Any color printing goes office depot. Way cheaper than I can do it at home.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 7:44 pm    

I just went through the ink problem with my printer. The three colors and black package costs around $120 to get the brand name. On line I can buy the three colors and two black package for less than $20. I figured something had to be wrong. However, according to the reviews, it is the same ink and does the same job. They claim that the printer companies put a chip in the cartridges. If your cartridge doesn't have the right chip they might as well not be in the machine. The place where I got the new ink says they have the updated chips. Everyone claims these cheap ones work fine. They just arrived so I will soon see. For the difference in price it was worth a shot.