The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Some under the radar Jerry Byrd LPs
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 3:52 am    

A recent YouTube expedition unearthed a few JB recordings that were new to me ...

Snow In Hawaii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76V-sMQEN_o

Paradise Island
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmLq5-0k25E&t=423s

Gotta say, as a jazz B3 lover, that organ sound is painful!

On the shores off Waikiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1aSFmcr3KI

This is a repackaging of JBs classic 1952 recordings.

Goodbye Kiss (Roy Orbison 1963)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMCeF5Fyow

Overproduced.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 8:07 pm    

Andy,thanks for the links to those...I will try to find the Snow in Hawaii...I didnt realize that lp existed ! Good find and thanks ! Its on amazon in cd format...i will order that one.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 7:51 pm    

Another recent JB-related discovery for me: Spotify and Apple Music have three Hawaiian-themed albums by Paul Page and the Rainbow Trio that feature Jerry Byrd.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 8:52 pm    

The Hank Snow album is a new one to me. I agree about the cheesy organ backing on the Paradise Island record. I heard a lot of that style when I was growing up in the 50s and early 60s and it sounded so square to me, even then... like Lawrence Welk on a bad day. Personally, I like the production on Goodbye Kiss. It's very similar to the production on Jerry's Satin Strings of Steel album... also on Monument. The strings and orchestra took a while to get used to, but now I can't imagine the songs without them.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 12:38 pm    

Matthew Dawson wrote:
Another recent JB-related discovery for me: Spotify and Apple Music have three Hawaiian-themed albums by Paul Page and the Rainbow Trio that feature Jerry Byrd.

If you fish around in that Paul Page stuff on Spotify, you'll come across a track called "South Point Hawaiians" from the mid 1970s. That's apparently also the name of the group.

How often do you get to hear Jerry (or steel at all) in an outright Dixieland performance?

Page's vocals are horrid, but luckily there are a few instrumentals by JB. I think "Chicken Kona Kaii" has Bernie (Kaii) Lewis on steel.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 3:43 pm    

The Hank Snow album has its moments. The musicianship is top, but I don't know if I am ever going to be able to put up with those deadpan 1950s vocal backings.Instead of transporting me to Hawaii, I'm suddenly in a Doris Day movie.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 6:59 pm    

My copy of the Hank Snow cd is scheduled to arrive Monday...I will overlook the bad parts and enjoy JB playing...I dont expect it to be like the albums he recorded with Marty Robbins ! Those were wonderful ! I found those in a hardware store (Western Auto) back in the 60s ! Its amazing how many good records I found at that hardware store...haha
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 11:39 pm    

I just thought I would throw this into the mix, as we are on the subject of Jerry Byrd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih7a_ZuCp5s

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 8:46 pm    

I never liked organ music on recordings ! Common in the old days of course...