The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Winding direction of Emmons pickup?
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 10:39 am    

I'm having a second pickup made for my Emmons student model and would like to be able to use them in tandem for noise-cancelling and phase reversal. I need to figure out the winding direction north/south of the original pickup. Does anyone know if Emmons pickups were consistently built with the same wind direction? Have no idea how to determine the winding direction or if that's possible without unwinding it (not gonna do that). Anyone have any tips?

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 5:09 pm    

I would guess since most winders position pickups on the right side of the coil winder and with the top going, that Emmons pickups would be wound counter-clockwise. At any rate, you can always reverse the pickups output wiring to the same effect. Magnet polarity on the new pickup must be opposite but is easily changed with a re-charge. Both of my Emmons pickups attract to compass needle north.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 9:04 pm    

This also assumes that winding direction has much of anything to do with hum cancellation.

It's easy to experiment by switching the hot and ground wires on a couple pickups and see if it does anything.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 9:57 pm    

When combined RWRP with another pickup, it has everything to do with hum cancellation. "Humbucking". Are we talking about the same thing?

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 8:44 am    

James, it seems to me that there should be a simple, easy way to determine the direction of winding, but none is occurring to me. So why not get two new pickups wound, one 'regular' and one RWRP to the first? That way you would know exactly what you've got and go from there. If you can't use the original pickup in another project, maybe you could sell it to recover some of your now doubled costs.

My 2¢. HTH. Good Luck with The Project. Cool

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 12:04 pm    

You could save yourself a lot of hassle and just get one of these:

James Mayer

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 12:50 pm    

It was honestly less about the noise reduction and more about having another tone at my disposal. The thicker "humbucker" tone of running two RWRP pickups in parralell. Running it in series and/or parrallel with the option of phase reversal. What I have is not particularly noisy, just like having the multiple tone options.

I'm having a Sentell pickup made that slides in under the strings without a need for routing. Just figured I might as well see if I could have it reverse wound to my original pickup.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 5:15 am    

James Mayer wrote:
It was honestly less about the noise reduction and more about having another tone at my disposal. The thicker "humbucker" tone of running two RWRP pickups in parralell. Running it in series and/or parrallel with the option of phase reversal. What I have is not particularly noisy, just like having the multiple tone options.

I'm having a Sentell pickup made that slides in under the strings without a need for routing. Just figured I might as well see if I could have it reverse wound to my original pickup.

You could add a hidden blend wheel underneath, and blend the reversed wound pickup with the original, just like a Fender Stringmaster is wired. I bet that would be a nice way to dial in some various tones. Cool

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 6:53 am    

James Mayer wrote:

Have read some great reports about that pickup. I have two Sentell P-90s installed on rescue Gibson lap steels and they are excellent. I am about to order another.