The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sennheiser E-609 Versus Shure SM-57
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:05 pm    

I've been using SM57's for a long time to mic both six-string and steel.Been thinking about going to an E609 for the convenience of just hanging it over the front of the amp.For anyone who's had experience with both,which do y'all like better and why?

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:27 pm    

I have both. I use the SM 57 on stage because I use an amp grabber to hold the mic and I've attached a guitar holder to it for my lap steel. I have no idea which sounds better cuz I only hear my amp on stage. I don't know what the audience hears. No one has ever said they heard a difference.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:45 pm    

I've done live and studio sound for years. I love the SM57 for many guitar amps, but not always as it can have a peaky, sharp bite to it.

For pedal steel, I don't care much for the SM57, sometimes ok, but often a bit harsh, lacks warmth and lush mids.

But the Sennheiser 609 is much the opposite - very warm and smooth, tremendous clarity yet virtually ZERO harshness. It's very forgiving, doesn't require ultra-perfect placement, doesn't require a mic stand, and just sounds great on pedal steel, one of my favorites. If you wanna spend a little more, the E906 is a little step up, but for the money the E609 is killer, highly recommended.

Brad

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 9:03 pm    

I'm an E609 guy myself. I keep one in my seat and it comes in very handy. I haven't spent as much time as Brad checking out all the details of the sound but I do know I am more comfortable with the sound of the 609 than a 57.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 10:17 pm    

My experience s exactly the same as Brad's...

Ran a 57 and then a 906 and 906 is just an more friendly more transparent mic...modelled after but still not as amazing as a Senn 409 though ☺.... $$$ holy grail.

I use the e906 which has a few voicing options on a switch to help the soundman out a bit. You only need to find the best setting once... I find the brightest setting too bright... which is said to be how the stock 609 is voiced.

Thus I think it is worthwhile to step into the 906. There are soundclip comparisons on recording gear forums.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 5:40 am    

Yep 609 sounds better for live guitar.
I have never tried it for anything else and am wondering if other applications would work as well?

???

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 6:41 am    

Been using the 609 for 15 years and it's a great microphone. I've done some work in a couple of studios and they used the 609. It's nice to be able to hang it in front of the amp without having to have a stand.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 7:49 am    

Iirc, the name of the recording forum with excellent sound clip comparisons is called GearSluts.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 2:31 pm    

Been carrying a 609 with me for at least 5 years. Almost every time I gig with a soundman, I mention that I have. 609, and they put away whatever Mic they were going to use (almost always a 57).

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 3:17 am    

I did some recording recently and started out with the 609. Just didn't like the sound. Changed to an SM57 and Bingo, the sound I wanted.

I was using my Carvin BX500 and Eminence EPS-15C speaker. The recording interface unit is my MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 10:20 pm    

The positives were pretty encouraging so I went ahead and ordered an E-609.Thanks,guys! Very Happy

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 4:36 pm    

Dave, please let us know your opinion after you try it in "battle conditions".

I just found out about the e609 last year, and I really like it. I have never tried recording with it though, only as a stage mic.