The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The trap of perfectionism - interesting essay
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:05 am    

Steve Treseler | Saxophone | Creative Music Blog

Quote:
The trap of perfectionism keeps us from making the impact we seek.
Endless polishing and tinkering is one way we hide from emotional risk. We may tell ourselves that if our work is perfect, it will be immune from criticism. I know a jazz musician who has been working on his first album for over ten years because he wants it to be perfect. Insulating ourselves from risk feels safe in the moment, but it keeps our original contributions bottled up inside.

I certainly get stuck in this trap. I’m usually able to let mistakes go on stage, but the scrutiny of mixing a record triggers my perfectionism impulse. After fixing an egregious mistake with studio magic, I start hearing smaller imperfections and could continue polishing and hiding forever.

We can have high standards, but perfect is off the table. The artists we most admire aren’t perfect, yet they continue to perform, record, and amass a body of work.

An obsession with perfect also puts us into a defensive performance mindset—we try to avoid errors rather than play courageously on stage.

In his three-minute TED Talk, bestselling author Seth Godin tells us, “We need to care enough to connect, care enough to put ourselves at risk emotionally in order to touch other people. . .But we have to be brave enough to ship it before it’s ready, because it’s never ready.”

The only way to touch another person with your music is to share it. The sharing may be an album, concert, YouTube video, or informal performance for friends and family. Shipping a project is your invitation to begin a new one.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 1:10 pm    

Guilty as charged.
However I am trying to stop being so anal about things.
I spend way too much time recording, re-recording, editing fiddling etc.
I even drive myself nuts at times.
It is disappointing to find out that I am not perfect though........
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 2:17 pm    

Steven Stills played a wrong bass note on the Judy Collins album he produced, but it doesn't stop me listening to it.

Stravinsky's own recording of his Symphony In Three Movements has a split trumpet note on the very last chord, but it's still the definitive recording.

The beautifully presented offerings of The Carpenters or Chicago would be just as good if they were a shade rougher.

It's the musical thought that counts.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 3:22 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
Steven Stills played a wrong bass note on the Judy Collins album he produced, but it doesn't stop me listening to it.

Yeah, but does it stop HIM from listening to it? Prolly...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 3:39 pm    

Good point, Jim Smile I guess it may.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 6:10 pm    

It may have been Jeff Newman, or maybe someone else, who said of getting out and playing live "Don't wait until you're ready, you never will be."

Not sure I have the words quoted exactly right, but the message is clear.

Roddy Ring

Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 10:22 am     Perfection

Jim Cohen makes a good point. I played on a local cable morning show with a friend to promote his performances that coming weekend. The rest of the band wasn't arriving til the afternoon after the TV appearance which is why he needed a sub. I did it and enjoyed it very much. I played at least one clinker so I never want to hear or see that performance. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 6:41 am    

As a mechanical engineer we have the same problem. When designing a new product we will test and redesign a new product until it is perfect, which will never happen. There is a saying where I work, ‘At some point you have to shoot the engineer and release the product’.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:23 am    

My teacher used to say, "It's never finished, just abandoned."

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 9:16 am    

Quote:
An obsession with perfect also puts us into a defensive performance mindset—we try to avoid errors rather than play courageously on stage.

I suffered from DPM (defensive performance mindset) in the studio and consequentially never thought I gave a great performance there..

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 6:09 pm    

A recording should be a snapshot of what you're playing at the time. You shouldn't expect it to be definitive of your life's work.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 5:58 am    

Most times, good enough is good enough. Give it your best, within available time constraints, and then move on to something else. For instance, some players become so obsessed with perfecting their "tone" that they never learn to play very well. That's kinda like putting a flawless finish on a piece of crappy furniture.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 7:58 am    

This thread brings to mind the old saying "Perfect is the enemy of good." And "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."