The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone bar's new to PSG
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 4:58 pm    

what is the difference's between them? The weight and size? It's not some thing that one will but several to find out which one works best for them .AT $20 per bar.
Will light scratches on one will it be a problem? Also bar buzz Is it no enough pressure applied downward. I kinda like the Scrub's type that has a place for your fingers. I have arthritis in my hands.

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 5:16 pm    

A more heavier bar tends to have a more full sound, vs a lighter, more hollow sound. As for size, I'd say whatever fits your hand best. Lights scratches shouldn't make much of a difference if it's a chromed bar ( could say for others) As for trying them out, for size, I'll say this, yes and no. The first bar I got I thought was too heavy. But after a little while my hand got stronger and never noticed it. And I think I have better tone now than if I would of changed to a lighter bar early on. Bar buzz and pressure, you will know after you get some experience.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 5:17 pm    

Weight, size and material all play a rôle.
I like the hardness of chrome, which has an effect on both sustain and tone.
Although there's some overlap in effect, mass gives sustain, and hardness gives tone. When I want to play either Dobro simulation or Ralph Mooney licks, I switch to a an anodized aluminum bar.
Scratches play a role in bar noise, and they make it feel slower. I played for a couple decades with a nicked bar (in the American, not British sense), but I just put the nick under my finger.
To be honest, your tone won't be up to where the bar makes a difference for a few years. It takes a Frustratingly long time to get a good tone, so just get a decent bar, preferably chromed. If you want the milled slots for the fingers the Dunlop 925 should be fine, and I think there's a few more like it

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 5:27 pm    

Some time ago. I made a video comparing several different bars. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=--1I9UOHISU

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:27 pm    

Quote:
what is the difference's between them? The weight and size? It's not some thing that one will but several to find out which one works best for them .AT $20 per bar.

$20? The one I use most is an $90, taped 1 1/4"=>1 1/8" copper-center/synthetic polymer bar (the Ezzee-Slide). The difference from a standard metal bar is it's virtually noiseless yet seems to extend sustain. Prior to this one I used one of Sneaky Pete's old bars - same size and a one-pound, indestructible thing. I still use it fairly often.

Some players like (somewhat) standard 5/8" bars, but I know very few that use $20 "music store" Ernie Ball bars and such.

Even at 5/8" some of those have butler-noses on both ends, others are very long bars; some bars are stainless steel; some chrome; some other synthetic polymers (I have about a half-dozen various types); some old-school Bakelite. Many different diameters and some tapes are used. There are dozens of different types - sizes, materials, weights and shapes all feel more comfortable or sound better to the player.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 2:18 am    

Jim, I often use my Jim Dunlop bar, especially the sitar bar, as my SDF sitar bar has an oops in it: not quite realizing what the flat was for, Steve smoothed the corners of the grind.
Do I like it as much as my BJS or SDF bars? No, but I'd be happy to play it all night.
It's perfectly adequate, especially for a newbie. This is not to take anything away from either the SDF, BJS or Basil Eezzee Slide (I still need to take pics of me playing it like Basil asked for), but we don't need to tell newbies that they need a $90 bar.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:54 am    

I'm debating on whether to change bars. I'm a newer player and play with the only bar I have which is a Dunlop 920 - 7/8" 7.5 oz. The 920 has gotten easy to handle and slants seem to be getting decent. I'm not sure if should upgrade to bigger heavier bar or stick with what is working now. I think my biggest concern is being accurate in the right side of the neck.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 8:40 am    

It seems that most players eventually end up with a good chrome plated bar like a BJS bar. After I got mine twenty-some years ago I lost interest in trying any other brand of bar. I have three of them in varying weights and sizes and after years of daily use they still seem brand new. They are more expensive than some but they're worth it.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 10:54 am    

i have two dunlop 929 s and two bjs bars.
though the bjs seems a little nicer, the difference is small.
i wouldn`t overrate the influence on your sound and playing.. Wink

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:21 pm    

I have also been looking at a Shubb-Pearse SP1 Tone Bar . Tome looking at the pictures shouldn't the end be rounded up so as you slide it across the strings it wouldn't catch on the edge of another string. The Dunlop 925 isn't rounded up either. Like the round tone bar on one end.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:52 pm    

The Shubb is definitely rounded on one end. This pic shows it better:

The Dunlop 925 is made for Dobro (resonator) instruments, and those bars normally are not rounded on the end.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 7:19 pm    

I believe the 925 IS rounded on one end, but I'm not sure where I put mine

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 5:02 am    

I used the Shubb on dobro and wasn't that happy with it. Seemed the curved end was too long...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 5:04 am    

Dunlop 925...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!