The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Question
Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 8:05 pm    

I see that many Nashville 112 owners feel the need to enhance their sound with an impedance device like a Steel Guitar Black Box or a Lil Izzy or something similar.

So here is what I wonder: If you use a Nashville 112, do you use an impedance device? If yes, which device do you use?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 2:37 am    

Yes, I use 'high-Z in/low-Z out' buffers for PSG with my NV112 amps, and with any other amp for that matter. My preferred buffer is a Boss LMB-3, but I also have a couple of Goodrich buffers I sometimes use.

It is not so much about the amp, but all about putting a suitable, and stable, load on the PU, and eliminating any impact/loss in the cables leading up to the amp.

The NV112 has a (regular) high-Z input of 220Kohm, which with a passive (500Kohm) VP in line load most PUs a bit too hard for my taste. Having the LMB-3 with its 1Mohm input/<2K output as first stage, gets around these less than optimal loads.
In addition: the LMB-3's frequency curve suits my ears and playing style, and eliminates the need for further eq'ing in the NV112. The LMB-3 can also be set to emulate tube stage compression quite well, which is a plus since I like a touch of tube-sound but dislike tube-amps Very Happy

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 3:02 am    

To put what Georg said in slightly different words, the buffer is about the interaction between the pickup and the volume pedal and cables downstream (the interaction with the input stage of the amp matters, but is of secondary import). To say "many players feel the need to enhance their sound" with buffers misunderstands the role of the buffer. If he were still alive, Craig Baker would HAPPILY spend an hour on the phone on the subject (I used to talk to him every month or so as I drove my semi across Interstate 70. I miss my fellow goofball).
Unless your guitar has Alumitones, the volume pedal and cables will load the pickup and soak up highs and definition. While the amps can restore the edge of the lost highs, it can't replace the definition/string separation. Buffers don't replace lost highs and definition; they stop them from getting lost in the first place!
All buffers will sound different as they'll color the sound just as anything else downstream will. My favorite two buffers on the grounds of their native coloration are the Lil' Izzy and the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail (many stomp boxen have built-in buffers), but the Vari-Z knob of the Freeloader and SGBB puts those two out in front, because it IS nice to have a darker tone without mud at the twist of a knob.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 3:07 am    

To clarify something about Peavey amps.
If you will use the 3 wire hookup, you will not need any other impedence device.
This is basically built into Peavey amps.

And use a premium cable, like George L's.

Using the 3 wire hookup is like taking a blanket off the front of the amp.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 3:26 am    

Bill, many people using Peavey still put buffers after their pickups.
Although a buffer will change the interaction guitar and the input stage. The three-cable setup will stop a passive pedal loading the pickup, but you'll still see a change if you add a buffer.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 21 Jan 2017 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 3:50 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
The three-cable setup will stop a passive pedal loading the pickup, but you'll still see a change if you add a buffer.
Yes, most definitely.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 3:59 am    

Impedance devices such as the Lil Izzy and others are not amplifier specific. They will do the same thing for any amp. Actually the impedance devices do not do anything for the amp, all they basically do is provide a constant impedance load on the guitar's pickup and change the output impedance of the guitar to low impedance. A byproduct that many (but not all) hear is cleaner tone. But it has nothing directly to do with whatever amplifier is being used.