The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Garcia and Buddy Cage Face Off
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:05 pm    

Wow Pete! Thanks for the lesson . I learned this when it came out 35-40 years ago, but forgot most of it, along with a lot of other stuff. Now I'm gonna relearn it and get try to get one of my bands to play it ( They have learned Dire Wolf and are working on Cucamonga...tons of Deadheads in New Jersey). Love the diminished arpeggios that Jerry used .

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 11:38 am    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
If you look at the original Atlantic records fold open/inner gatefold DejaVu record album which would open to show pictures and some credits, and look around because it's really small, you will see two very small photos of Jerry Garcia and John Sebastian. You will also see written credits for John Sebastian, harmonica on "DejaVu" and Jerry Garcia, pedal steel on "Helpless" and "Teach Your Children".
I was looking for a shot of the gatefold and found this page relating to the front cover of this masterpiece. A little over the top but hey, we all have our 'things". Smile Personally, I miss album cover art. >>

http://www.popspotsnyc.com/deja_vu/

Isn't this in your neck of the woods bOb?

Thanks for the link Bud, I really enjoyed that piece!

As b0b wrote, Novato is about 60 miles south of him and it is about 40 miles south of me. If it's not rush hour, Novato is a 20 minute drive north of The Golden Gate Bridge. I have a cousin who lives down the road from where the album cover photo was shot. Years ago Novato used to be affordable, but like everything in the Bay Area real estate prices and rents have gone through the roof. Novato is a nice town, but it's not really a "rich" community in the classic sense. There are some beautiful homes and nice properties, but the majority of it looks like middle class suburban tract homes in subdivisions, some of them looking pretty tired having been built in the 1950s when folks were migrating north of San Francisco a lot more than prior in history. The current median home price is $705,000. The median rent is $3,375 per month. You're not going to find many up and coming musicians struggling to make their mark living in Novato anymore like it was in the '60s and '70s.

There used to be a major air force base there (Hamilton). And near Hamilton was where the Dead had a rehearsal space/studio for many years.

I think about this every so often for a business idea and I'm at least half serious about it. They have the tour buses in Hollywood that take you around to see the homes of the stars and other landmarks. For my sales rep job every Monday I drive past the former long-time Dead HQ and offices in San Rafael (about 10 minutes south of Novato). It's an old Victorian home which I believe is now the office of a law firm, on the corner of 5th & Lincoln.

Driving past 5th & Lincoln one day it hit me there could be a business here. Between San Francisco and Marin counties I could run tours in one of those plush half-size buses we have here in the wine country for people that should not be driving between winery stops, and bring Deadheads around to see all the band's landmarks. Final stop would be at the rehab facility in the West Marin community of Forest Knolls where Jerry passed on in 1995.

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 5:09 pm     Covering Jerry

Recently did my Dead show featuring not only American Beauty, but tributed 2 acts that contributed to it, namely NRPS and CSNY. I did all the Jerry steel (best I could). Sugar Mag, Brokedown, Candyman Wah solo, Teach Your Children, Dirty Biz, etc. Fun show. Love learning Jerry stuff, no matter what instrument. Check it out if you like. Thanks
https://archive.org/details/DOL2016-10-29._222
www.deadonlive.com

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 5:24 pm     transcribing Jerry

Pete Burak wrote:
Jim Robbins wrote:
Joseph Napolitano wrote:
Listen to "Help On The Way" . Only a great guitar player could think up this stuff and execute it.

"Help on the way" / "Slipknot" was my gateway drug to the Grateful Dead. Very accomplished stuff.

I have a 4-part lesson series on this tune on YouTube:
Part1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB7Qttuf9sw

I did extensive transcriptions (of all the instruments) on the records and did a ton of cross-referencing of shows on youtube to verify. You can see bits of it here. Crazy stuff. Help On The Way starts around 30 secs in, with some close ups of some of the dicey stuff after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DemjkjBXXik

Be happy to video some bits if anyone cares to check out what I believe to be correct notes and positions (best I can). More vids here. www.deadonlive.com

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 5:35 pm     Cucamonga

Joseph Napolitano wrote:
Wow Pete! Thanks for the lesson . I learned this when it came out 35-40 years ago, but forgot most of it, along with a lot of other stuff. Now I'm gonna relearn it and get try to get one of my bands to play it ( They have learned Dire Wolf and are working on Cucamonga...tons of Deadheads in New Jersey). Love the diminished arpeggios that Jerry used .

Hey Joe, did this one too. John McFee on the record. I live down the street from you. Stop on by sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRzLFpkrOs

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 6:50 pm    

Hey Marc Thanks ! I found the Pride of Cucumonga practice session on youtube a month ago and I've been working on it. It's a lot more manageable to learn stuff like this after you've done all the heavy lifting . I'd love to see you run through Dire Wolf , and all those diminished arpeggios on Help/Slip.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 6:53 pm    

Any Deadheads on the east coast,you gotta check out Marc's Dead ON Live shows. Unbelievable !

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 6:23 am    

Hey Scott that is a killer Sage & Spirit! Nice! (I see your Steel in the background) Smile
I have been aware of Marc's "Dead On" for quite a while and they are amazing, too! Great work by all!

Sometimes I like to play along with this "Pride of Cucamonga" which is solo Phil Lesh on an acoustic (supposedly from when Phil first wrote it, and did this demo for the rest of the band to hear it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDFbhh6Vfc

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 7:27 am     Thanks all!

This is the best ever thread on the permanently ongoing Jerry dilemma. Thanks for the lessons, I love The Dead and parts of Help/slip have been plaguing me for years so thanks for the help. I got dire wolf down cold on the steel, but cucamonga is still hard for me,Is John McFee still around? That was some great playing, also the csnY album cover stuff was really fun, thanks Bud

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 7:40 am     Forgot something

Deadheads Unite, there will also be an intricate interpretive live action drama, totally based on Ship of Fools its on tv all day, let me know how it goes, I had to kill my tv a couple of months ago, it was only getting channels from some alternate universe.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 8:24 am    

Yeah, I'm getting those same channels.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 10:03 am    

John McFee is Elvis's steel player AFAIK.
Funny how an Irish punk rocker (or was he more New Wave?) has more country than the country charts.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 10:31 am    

Carlene Carter with John:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPOBA4Ows0

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 10:39 am    

I did not know that McFee is playing with Elvis Costello, thanks for the tip Lane (though I like him just fine I can't do "Elvis" as first name only - in my mind that is reserved for the man who died in 1977).

John is still very much a part of the Doobie Brothers, their 2017 tour commences in April.

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 1:03 pm     Awesome!

That's great news The Doobies are coming to my area this summer,

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 5:48 pm     Re: transcribing Jerry

Marc Muller wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:
Jim Robbins wrote:
Joseph Napolitano wrote:
Listen to "Help On The Way" . Only a great guitar player could think up this stuff and execute it.

"Help on the way" / "Slipknot" was my gateway drug to the Grateful Dead. Very accomplished stuff.

Part1:

I did extensive transcriptions (of all the instruments) on the records and did a ton of cross-referencing of shows on youtube to verify. You can see bits of it here. Crazy stuff. Help On The Way starts around 30 secs in, with some close ups of some of the dicey stuff after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DemjkjBXXik

Be happy to video some bits if anyone cares to check out what I believe to be correct notes and positions (best I can). More vids here. www.deadonlive.com

the thing that knocks me out about that tune is Phil's bass part...

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 7:42 pm     Re: transcribing Jerry

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
Marc Muller wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:
Jim Robbins wrote:
Joseph Napolitano wrote:

Part1:

the thing that knocks me out about that tune is Phil's bass part...

me too.....

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 8:33 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
John McFee is Elvis's steel player AFAIK.
Funny how an Irish punk rocker (or was he more New Wave?) has more country than the country charts.

Pure nonsense! He played on his first album including his band Clover. Then on "Almost Blue" with country covers produced by Bill Sherill. He played on two tracks on "Delivery Man" and on one live date in San Francisco. That was all.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:17 am    

So who is Elvis Costello's steel player, then?

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:56 am    

b0b wrote:
So who is Elvis Costello's steel player, then?

I did a little homework and there is no regular steel player. The Imposters consist of Costello on guitar along with drums, bass, and keys.

Without going into all the details so that the thread doesn't completely veer off in another direction, McFee's involvement with Costello appears to be sort of a "hybrid" of what Lane and Joachim wrote. John's involvement with Elvis Costello is an on again off again situation, and anything but consistent. As in the publicity photo I shared above form their current website, he is a permanent member of the Doobies and I would imagine this takes priority over any other projects.

Here is a photo of John playing with Elvis in Aspen, 2012. You can see the steel off to the far left.

The other thing you'll notice is the music stand in front of John - so if this photo from 2012 is any indication, I'm guessing they don't play together often enough for John to have all the songs memorized.