The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ISO practice software- slowdown and loop
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 3:35 pm    

Yes, I know that with the right browser extensions, you can pick a section of a youtube video and loop it. And some of these let you slow down, keeping the pitch. As browser versions change, it seems like which extension works keeps changing.

I want to be able to do this with a local file- either video or audio. And make it simple to use. I use a Chrome plugin called "GetThemAll" that lets you grab videos from any page and download. I found a decent slowdown player called uPlayer, but it doesn't loop.

What would be *super cool* would be the ability to "scrub" through a lick or phrase while keeping it in pitch- a tall order, I know.

So far, my best solution is to pull the file into a DAW like Audacity, slow it down (keeping the pitch), and set loop points. It would be cool if there was a simpler way.

What do y'all use?

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 3:47 pm    

I'm a fan of Transcribe software for slowdown and looping:

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 4:26 pm    

There are many. In addition to "Transcribe", "Riffstation" is very good. There is another program called "The Amazing Slow Downer" which I've never tried, but others here seem to like a lot, and also a free open source program called "Best Practice". Probably others if you do a quick google search. All the commercial options have trial offerings to check them out

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 8:41 pm    

Audacity. www.audacityteam.org

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 9:49 pm    

Noticed you were talking about videos too. If you want to slow down and loop videos, VLC media player does this well. It works with audio files too, you can't change the pitch but it will slow and retain the original pitch and it has a good built-in looper function.

Also worth mentioning that you can play and loop sections of youtube videos on a site called yourepeat.com. If you're watching a video on youtube, just replace the "tube" with "repeat" in the URL in the address bar and voila. You can set loop points and also use the normal youtube speed control adjustments (click the gear icon below the time slider in the video window). There is a plugin for Firefox that will take you there with a single click from any youtube video.