The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8 string Lap Steel Dillion vs Morrell
Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 3:34 pm    

Good day
I am choosing 8 string lap steel guitar, inside my budjet limits there are following options:

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/182394196851

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillion-2017-professional-8-string-Lap-Steel-The-last-one-at-a-great-price/252676189237

Would appreciate your comments and advices.
Why Dillion has steel frets?
Is there any sence in roller nut?
May be any of you tested both models please give your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Molin Oleg on 8 Jan 2017 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 4:52 pm    

I haven't played either one, but I have seen and held a Morrell. If it is in fact made in America, then America should be ashamed of itself.

Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 9:28 pm    

So happens that Bob Allen has just posted a sale offer on his hand made guitars (see link below). Bob is a wonderful guy to deal with and his guitars are a great value. He is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He has provided excellent off-list advise to me several times. You might need to wait a bit, but it is worth the wait.

My only connection is that I am a satisfied owner of one of his guitars.

Jim

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=311017

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 10:31 pm    

HELLO MOLIN,

I see this is your first post on the Steel Guitar Forum.

Welcome to The Forum.

You will find a lot of information here from other Forumites concerning steel guitar. Smile

Roger

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 4:19 am     Lap steel

Hi, FWIW, I have played the Morrell many times; 2 different models(S8 Maple and the S8 Maple Lil Roy Wiggins). They both sounded good and played well(ergonomically)too. But the Lil Roy Wiggin model just seemed like it had more care taken in its production. The lipstick pickups on these models 95%of the time wont pickup the last 2 bass strings frequencies very well. I had one and I put a fender string master wound by Jason Lollar($125). Guitar costed around $100. So these guitars can be found fairly easily. Good buy for sure. The Dillion model, I have no idea what they sound like.

Thanks

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 9:04 am    

I also played the lil roy a few years back and thought it was a decent 8 string, no problem at all. I played a Dillion just last month and feel it was a solid built instrument with a good tone. I, myself, feel both would be a good instrument to play.

On a side note, I wanted to get Rondo Music 8 string for months. Low cost & the one I played was 100% usable with a good build quality. But in the end I grabbed a 10 string from a forum member here....... Cool

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 2:23 pm    

Thank you for comments, very appreciate.
My considerations are:
Dillion looks better in appearance, better bridge, better roller nut while Joe Morrell Pro Series looks too simple, but still dont have clear opinion about sound quality.
I also thought about Rondo indeed.
Mr Rossen, thank you for the link, i also inquired more details about their guitars.

Will be grateful if you share any other ideas about mentioned models (Dillion, Morell, Rondo) or propose any other models for choosing.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 7:05 pm    

I own a 8 string Dillion and it is a wonderful guitar well made and sounds terrific. It is one of 4 lap steels I own including a 8 string Morrell. The Morrell doesn't have a proper pickup able to sound the treble outer string. Had to replace that pickup. The Dillion only requires a proper string set of your choice. Mine is now tuned to A6. The 8 string Dillion has a roller nut the 6 string does not. Bob Allen has a great guitar and is a USA builder. The Dillion is made in China. Good luck.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 7:52 pm    

The Dillion looks really cool, but it kind of freaks me out that it has an adjustable truss rod. That hints that whoever was putting together the specifications was not really versed in steel guitar. It may be great, but what's the trussrod for?

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:49 am    

David Mason wrote:
The Dillion looks really cool, but it kind of freaks me out that it has an adjustable truss rod. That hints that whoever was putting together the specifications was not really versed in steel guitar. It may be great, but what's the trussrod for?

LOL that is so true. A truss rod in a Lap Steel Guitar means an adjustable neck. Means over time high tensions you will have to adjust notes and need to intonate.

No Lap Steel Guitar ever needs intonation. I would stay with the Morrell as they know steel guitar requirements. Shame really as the Dillion guitars look stunning.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 8:51 am    

Dillion makes a professional model in sunburst that looks outstanding for a few dollars more.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 1:11 pm    

Just another suggestion if you are unsure about which way to turn, why not build your own Instrument using components of your own choice, it is after all just a plank of wood.

Here is one of mine, Mahogany body, 7 string, 23 inch scale length, fret board printed out on my Epson, all parts sourced on fleabay have a look & listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAE76yLxEA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmg9o1UXOo

James Kerr.