The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zager Acoustic Guitars
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 3:40 pm    

Can I get some feedback/opions/experience with the Zager acoustic guitars please? How do they rate with other big names like Martin, Taylor, etc......thanks for you help in advance........clark

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 4:27 pm    

Clark, I have a Sigma/Martin DR-41 that was worked on by Denny Zagar. The action is as low as a tele and it plays smooth all the way up the neck. The intonation is dead on, and is a pleasure to play. Zagar insists that you use extra light gauge strings and because of that volume suffers a little. My guitar has a passive soundhole pickup to accomodate. In later Zagar mods, I noticed they stopped using DR-41 and seem to push their own. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 5:59 pm     Zager

Thanks Rick for the feedback......sounds good.....cd

Scott Truax

Florida
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 3:55 am     Zager guitars

Clark,
I have a ZAD 50CE-OM

This is the slightly smaller size acoustic electric.
check the Zager site)

Plays easy, intonation is good, fishman pickup system is very good. Low action all the way up the neck and no fret buzz. Does use light acoustic strings. Being a slightly smaller guitar and lite
gauge strings, you don't get that big, boom sound of the large acoustics, but it sounds very good to me. (A friend of mine has a Taylor that I've played several times. And, I prefer mine)

Great folks to work with.

Scott Truax

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 8:30 am     Zager

Thanks Scot,
Appreciate your feedback.....clark

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2015 4:57 pm    

I have two I like them a lot. Easy action, easy on the fingers. If you need a bluegrass cannon, the Zagers won't do. If you need a guitar you can pick up and play in your living room with friends, or for recording they are great.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2015 5:12 am    

I forgot to add that Zager's customer service is beyond excellent. Several months after I recieved my DR-41 it developed a little fret buzz on the 1st & 2nd strings. I called and spoke directly to Denny's son about it. I expected him to give me a tip about how to solve it, but he sent a Fedex label and asked me to return it to them in the same box it was shipped in. My guitar didn't come with a case, so I just repacked it and returned it to Zager.

Fast forward about 2 weeks, my guitar on my doorstep in perfect shape AND it was in a brand new hardshell case. The toy box was stuffed full of extra light Martin guitar strings, to boot. Not one cent out of my pocket. There are nay sayers, but Zager Guitars treat their customers very well. I'd definately buy another if I needed one.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2015 6:41 am     Zager Guitars

Thanks Walter and Rick. That's top notch customer service........clark

Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 5:51 am     zager guitars

I also have one and got rid of 2 Martins. My Zager sounded as good and played better so I put the money to better use.. I have a 80 series cutaway and just love it...

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 7:21 am    

+1 on their Customer Service, I haven't had to send anything back, but they've always shipped fast, and threw in a few extras when I ordered.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 7:24 am     Zager

Last week I ordered one of their 3/4 travel guitars on Thursday about noon and it arrived the next day about noon and that was standard shipping with no extra cost from FedEx.........can't beat that...... Smile

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 8:10 am    

We'll be wanting to know what you think, you know...😊

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 2:56 am     Zagar website

I knew nothing of this company until I saw it mentioned on The Forum. Thanks guys.
I plan on selling some of my acoustics and giving these a try. They are actually made in Nebraska, USA which is also amazing. Here is their website:

http://zagerguitar.com/discounts-list/

Steven Tekulsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 10:32 am     Zager Guitars

I am a big fan of Zager guitars....a musician that I know had one, and he told me the story of Zager (who I remembered as half of the duo Zager and Evans that had the biggest one hit wonder song ever......"In the Year 2525"....I checked out the website, which is very informative, and bought a ZAD50CE Black acoustic electric guitar......it was "blemished" - so it was $100 less - and if anyone could point out the blemish to me I would give them the $100 I saved.The guitar was ready to play out of the case, action is incredible and great electronics. They also upgraded me to a hardshell case (which is surprisingly light), and all purchases include a cool t-shirt. Their customer service is outstanding, and I still occasionally email with the son of the founder.........I know 2 people who got Zager guitars.....a full size acoustic and a 3/4 size - upon my recommendation, and they are both very pleased. I recommend them without hesitation.