The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sample of BIAB RealBand With Some Real Tracks
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 11:13 am    

This is my first shot at running BIAB RealBand. I entered a short sequence of chords then had RealBand create a backing track with a 2 bar ending using a built in style. The created backing track contained drums, bass, 2 guitars and a fiddle. I then added a track with acoustic piano, again having RealBand create it using a filter to select just "rhythm" piano styles as opposed to "solo" styles.

All the tracks were then ported over to Reaper as individual wav files and ported to my Zoom R24. I added a lead guitar track and 2 steel guitar tracks (2nd steel track was just the added harmonics) using real instruments and copied those tracks back to Reaper. The whole smash was mastered in Reaper as a rhythm and a whole song track as heard below.

Sounds like a lot but I spent about 4 hours on BIAB including learning RealBand and about 2 hours making the real tracks and then mixing it all via Reaper and uploading the mp3 files to my web site.

It's pretty simple to do a song with part real instrument tracks and part BIAB tracks! In fact you can have BIAB create an entire song length RealTrack of an instrument and then just cut and paste pieces of that track into your final mix.

In summary, you are hearing real steel and lead guitar and BIAB generated drums, piano, backing guitars, bass and fiddle.

Hear All Tracks

Hear Rhythm Track
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 9:17 pm    

Sounding good Greg! Wait until you get into the Pushes & Holds, learning that will make the backing tracks and solos have a lot more "real feel"!

Did you have any problem reg the program with PG Music?Cool

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 4:52 am    

I got it registered with no issues whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 5:19 am    

To use pushes and holds in my RealBand sample it seems I'd have to add midi drum parts to the RealTracks in RealBand. I don't see any push or hold function for the RealTracks.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 12:02 pm    

Thanks for the info! What a great deal on that version.

For holds & stops you use ...

for pushes you use ^ and ^^

Here is A very cool page with some great info.

A video of using the pushes are here.

And a video on rests, holds, and shots. Notice the steel player....Very Happy

These videos are older, but still apply to out 2017 version.

Hope this helps! Cool

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 6:19 am    

I was able to load my EZKeys and EZDrummer into RealBand as Vsti's. I can't use the EZ midi generators but I can use them as sound generators.

It seems much easier just to add blank tracks to a RealBand song for drums, piano and bass to do the song stops, jumps, end on beat 7 etc and just mute the other tracks where needed. Or just do all the mods in Reaper.

I often need a song to end on beat 7 instead of 5 (or as BIAB calls it, beat 1 of the next 4 neat measure). I also need precise pushes and pulls, sometimes triplet timing down to 1/32 or 1/96 timing. You see this sort of timing in country and western swing songs all the time. In fact if you view the EZDrummer generated patterns, the individual drums and entire patterns do this precisely to mimic sounds heard on commercial recordings. But one could do that on midi drum, bass and piano tracks in RealBand using the piano roll midi editor. Lots of options!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 5:47 pm    

Here's the demo with the free Ambience Reverb plugin added to the fiddle part to make it more matched to the other lead tracks. This gives a much more fair representation of how good the RealTracks instruments can sound like!

Hear the demo with stereo reverb on the fiddle part