The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Some west coast steelers.............long forgotten
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 2:49 pm    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Jim Bob, thanks for mentioning Major Simpson, I remember him playing with Amil Presson at Shipwreck Joey's Place. Another one who played without fingerpicks was mentioned by Billy T. was Dick Stubbs.

I remember Kenny Cox playing with Bill Black at Walt's Club in Southgate and playing standing up and doing some string pulls behind the bar. Is Kenny still alive?

Ol' Joe Baker with that lavender Emmons D-10, he played every song on his gigs on the C6th neck.

Anyone remember Bill Kennedy? He was a fine steel player both non pedal and pedal. He'd had a severe injury to his bar hand which prevented him from holding a round steel bar so he used a Dobro type but it didn't stop him at all, he played great. I met him at Cec's Lost Weekend which became the Avalon Room.

How 'bout Johnny Davis? He was so well known in the old days for his lead guitar work that a lot of folks forgot just how great of a steeler he was (is).... Johnny works the show in Arizona each year on lead guitar in the backup band. I wish someone would get him to do a set on steel guitar. You'd be amazed at how good he is.........JH in Va.

Hey Jerry, nobody has mentioned Bobby Boydd who playedwith Danny Michaels and then went on the road with Hank Thompson.
also Jerry Stevens at George's Round up. Both were great players and friends.