The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One more "what's wrong with my knee lever" question
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:11 am    

First off, I won't be able to look at it til Monday, and I think I have a culprit in mind.
My Zum last Saturday started behaving oddly on the 6th string. It's a 22W,BTW.
G#, in tune. B pedal A note, in tune. F# lower (my RKL) perfectly in tune. The split that should be G? WAYYY sharp (about 40 cents flat of G#, it was closer to A Maj7 than A7) , but wouldn't drop with further tightening of the nylon nut.
I'm guessing it's been too long since I've lubed it, so the rivet is now providing resistance?
I noticed it on the gig, but haven't put it on the bench yet. If it's the lube thing, it's the first time it's manifested in that manner.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 10:53 am    

Well brainstorming this situation is of course with the pedal engaged takes it to the A note; then Lowering from that A note to a G note; takes much more travel than the regular lowering from G# to F#. So first thing I would do is what ever is stopping that G# to F#(either extra raise rod or stop screw behind changer); back that off so it has no interference on the A to G lower. And now make sure the rod that lowers the finger from A to G is not depressing finger at all at idle. Now try A to G and if nylon tuner is not getting it there; add more distance to stop on lever. Then if and you get the A to G on the lever....then do the lever open from G# to F# on the other rod(which will be an extra raise rod) or on the stop screw behind changer..> that is your G# to F# tuning.
Good luck.
Ricky

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 12:03 pm    

Well put, Ricky.
Like I said, I've not looked at it yet, just got distracted when a highly reliable machine acted up on stage.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 3:23 am    

That it won't lower any further when tuning the nylon-nut, indicates that the lower-return spring is stretched to its practical limits for that particular changer-construction, and causes the lower-scissor to "reverse to raise". That it did lower far enough before but lowers sharp now, indicates increased friction has set in. Lubrication should then bring it back to its former performance.

Wound 6th strings lowered to F# quite regularly stretches the lower-return string close to the "reverse to raise" point, with very little to go on with regards to friction. I have run into this limitation on several All-Pulls, since I always use wound 6th string for the sake of "tone".

Slackening the lower-return spring slightly while making sure it still holds firm during raises and returns properly to neutral after lowers, may allow for proper lowering even with increased friction. But, such a spring adjustment exercise can easily become a pretty difficult balancing act - especially when dealing with splits.