The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Pedal on Carter D10
Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 5:13 pm    

I'm using the Emmons setup on my Carter D10 and when I push my A pedal it seems as though the pedal travel is really musshy and I can hardly notice any change. I know I'm probably not explaining this correct but hope someone can figure out what I'm trying to say.I haven't touched anything other than changing strings.
Thanks

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 5:40 pm    

Don, have a look underneath and see if the pull rod is still connected to the bellcrank.

The "dog-bone" that retains the hook on the end of the rod
is a notorious weak-spot on the Carter steel.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 6:03 pm    

Before poking around can you describe in more detail exactly what happens when you depress the A pedal.

That pedal would normally raise strings 5 and 10 from B to C#.

Can you describe what happens on each of these strings when the pedal is depressed?

h

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 7:22 am    

Right. Put the guitar in the case, legs-up.
Work the C pedal, pay attention to what it does, especially where the barbells/dogbones interact with the bellcranks.
Now work the misbehaving A pedal, and observe what's happening there. The most likely thing is that the barbells/dogbones are worn thin, almost ready to break, and the thin bits are flexing under the strain instead of pulling the rods.
The best source of replacement dogbones is Al Brisco, of Steel Guitars of Canada, as he bought the stock of parts when Carter folded. Unfortunately, he has a $40 minimum order, and you probably don't need $40 worth of barbells, so buy a couple sets of strings, or some instruction courses or something.
But as long as the B and C pedals are behaving, a short game of "one of these things is not like the other" should find the problem.

Don Kuhn

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 9:20 pm     A Pedal On Carter D10

When engaging it the pedal will go to the floor and I can hardly hear the sound of the of the change from B to C#, and now the C pedal it's resting on the floor with no action. I must of turned a hex nut to much as you can tell I know nothing about this and since there is no shop in Dallas just thought I could change the strings and bring it back in tune myself. Got the A pedal working and tuned now working on trying to get the C back up. Thanks Guys and I welcome your comments and knowledge. I gladly accept some on the C pedal.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 2:04 am    

Don, you could try contacting Mitchell Smithey, now working for MSA , but used to work for Carter, he is a superb technician, and is in Dallas area.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 7:59 am    

I know it would be a little bit of a drive but I would be glad to look at it. I will be playing Friday and Saturday at W.W. Fairfields in Richardson Jan 13,14

I wouldn't have much time on Friday due to load in set up etc. but I would be glad to meet you at the club early Saturday and look at it. I've owned four Carters and they're not difficult to work on.

My cell #940-393-0746

Don Kuhn

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:19 pm     Found the problem I think

Hey guys just wanted to tell y'all Thanks for all of your suggestions it looks like I had over tighten my hex nuts but i certainly appreciate you guys jumping in and trying to save me. Thanks Again