The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roger Miller and Buddy Emmons on Hee Haw
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 8:20 am    

Here's a little bit of Heaven I found on Facebook. I couldn't find it on Youtube so if you don't have FB I'm sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/rscott.murray.7/videos/10154939276933928/

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 8:32 am    

I like it! Very Happy

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 8:36 am    

Classic - To quote Cowboy Jack Clement: 'We're in the fun business - if we're not having fun we're not doing our job."

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 8:49 am    

Buddy's solo's never fail to make me smile but the mutual admiration they feel for each other is so apparent.You could see how Buddy's solo cracked Roger up because it's just kinda off the wall but works so well.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 9:34 am    

Besides being musicians, they are also entertainers! Very Happy

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 9:35 am    

Great video. Buddy always looks like he is having fun when he is picking.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 5:44 pm    

great clip......thanks for posting. I saw it before but that one is difficult to find.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 3:10 am    

Yes a great clip...perhaps just before the Emmons company started as Buddy is on a Sho-Bud....I'm trying to figure out if his Pakka seat is connected to the stage setting Smile ...can't see the legs Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:17 am    

Micky,it looks like he's sitting on a pillow on the ledge next to the fireplace and not using a seat.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:33 am    

I put this video up on facebook a few days ago, thanks to Ronald Cid who shared the file with me. I had no idea the response it would get. it's been shared over 200 times, even by Dean Miller... Roger's son.

there's some disagreement going on over whether the performance was prerecorded or not. some say they are just miming along to the whole thing.

not so, as Roger is clearly singing live. Buddy's E9 playing does not appear to line up however when Roger is standing next to him. some also say there is no cord coming out of the steel, but I'm pretty sure I see one around the 1-min mark.

it's my contention that Buddy's C6 playing is live as it appears to line up perfectly and they even do a close up on his hands when he does those great hammer-ons. I don't think he could fake an improvised solo so well.

and what would be the point of featuring Buddy in a spot like this if he wasn't actually playing?

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:43 am    

Quote:

Yes a great clip...perhaps just before the Emmons company started as Buddy is on a Sho-Bud..

No this was around 1970. During Buddy's first departure from the Emmons Co. They're playing along with the record which was likely cut on an Emmons. I saw him at jams several times during this period. Not in Nashville. He always played an Emmons even though he was officially endorsing Sho~Bud.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:47 am    

they're not playing along to the record. Roger is clearly singing live and if you listen to the album version you can hear the difference.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:54 am    

Quote:
I don't think he could fake an improvised solo so well.

With all due respect I do. That solo, while very good.Great for the time period. Was just another day at the office for Buddy during that era. He could have played it blindfolded. The solo was made up of what I consider Buddy's commercial C6th licks during that era.

b.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 10:15 am    

agree to disagree.

again, I just don't see the point of featuring the steel guitarist like this if he wasn't actually playing.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 10:16 am    

A quick Google search reveled it's not the album cut. I like Buddy's playing even better on the He Haw version. But I'm thinking a lot of the He Haw clips where pre-recorded before taping? Not that Buddy needed to. So maybe it's live. Maybe not.

b.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 10:33 am    

This was on YouTube for quite a few months then it got banned or deleted, pry because it was a HeeHaw performance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:14 am    

Pretty sure there's an old thread floating around here somewhere about this clip. In it someone mentioned that Hee Haw would pre-record the music track and the singer would sing live to that. Kind of makes sense since if you watch Buddy's hands he's on about 90% of the time but you can clearly see some licks that don't line up.
As for the solo itself, as Bobby said, it was pretty stock stuff of Buddy, but it's still pretty damn epic. Kind of the genesis of what he would go on to lay down on John Hartford's Gentle On My Mind.
As for why Roger Miller would want to showcase the world's greatest steel guitar player on national TV? Well, if you have to ask....

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:29 am    

Here's a timeline - as far as I can tell. Hee Haw Episode #45 was taped October 1970 when Emmons was on tour playing bass with Roger Miller. In June 1970 - he cut "A Trip in The Country" in Nashville and the same year cut "Suite Steel" in LA both on The Blade and both "Blade 101." Also his LA session work for 1970 (most notably w/ Buck Owens) also sounds like The Blade.

I don't anything about Emmons' return to endorsing Sho-Bud. All I know is in 1971 - he cut "Two Aces Together Picks The Famous Sho-Bud Guitars" with Shot and then left Sho-Bud right after that. If anyone knows anymore - sure would like to know. Could have possibly been endorsing Sho-Bud 1970/71 but still playing an Emmons on sessions or any combination thereof? Sure would like to know.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:40 am    

I've seen lots of clips from Hee Haw as well as The Porter Wagoner Show, Wilburn Brothers, Pop Goes The Country, etc and the steel is always live. so why not this one?

and Jack, I wasn't questioning why Roger and Hee Haw would want to feature Buddy. my point is, if they are going out of their way to put him and the pedal steel on national television, why would they have him mime a solo instead of actually playing one live? this is Buddy Emmons we're talking about. I'm sure no one was worried about him messing up.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 12:26 pm    

Johnny Cox had this to say about the Sho-Bud:

Quote:
And as to who's Sho-Bud, it was Sho-Bud's. It was during a brief time that Buddy was working with Shot again. They built him a S-10 keyless (that I later owned) and a D-10 Professional cabinet that was never completed by Sho-Bud.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 1:09 pm    

Hi Dick.....I looked carefully and can see the "Hinge" for the back/rest they have on seats like steeler's choice Confused

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 1:20 pm    

Thanks for posting that, Scott. I saw this video years ago on Youtube (before Gaylord or whoever owns Hee Haw) had it removed.

I've now saved a copy to my hard drive, so if it gets deleted again, I can still watch it.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 1:48 pm    

Quote:
Hi Dick.....I looked carefully and can see the "Hinge" for the back/rest they have on seats like steeler's choice Confused

Micky are you serious? Or just kidding? Pak seats didn't have backrest back then. Not trying to start anything. Just confused. Confused

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 2:13 pm    

thanks go to Ronald for the video. he sent me the file and I shared it on facebook. I'm amazed and delighted at how many likes and shares it keeps receiving.

so thanks again Ronald. you da man!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:01 pm    

I think it was mimed because I don't see a cord, amp or volume pedal on steel. Think Roger is really singing though. Buddy could have repeated his solo In the dark but don't think he is actually playing on this. Still a great intertaining video.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.