The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  knee lever tuning issue
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 6:15 pm    

I'm having an issue with my RKR raising F# to G on the first string of my Sierra. for some reason when I tune the raise to G at the hex nut, the string also tunes up. so I end up with a sharp note when I disengage the lever.

anyone know what might be causing this, and how to fix it?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 6:48 pm    

If it is just overtuned try loosening the hex nut until it no longer affects the pitch of the open string. Then tune the open string.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 9:15 pm    

It's definitely overtuned. Back the rod off until it has no effect, retune the F#, then tune the G.
If that doesn't fix it (and it probably will), you may need to adjust the lever stops.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 10:28 pm    

doesn't seem to fix the problem. when I tune the rod to G, it's still returning a bit sharp.

I added two raises on this same lever to my C6 neck. would that affect my E9 raises?

this is my RKR which raises the F#'s to G on E9 and C's to C# on C6.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:00 pm    

Yes, adding additional changes will often cause you to have to add more travel. Or just connect higher, (one notch should do it) in the bellcrank for F# to G.

b

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 3:06 pm    

still having this issue on my 1st string raise, E9. I've adjusted the rod as high as it will go on the bellcrank and it's very close to being in tune, but I still can't tune the knee lever without affecting the pitch of the open string.

I'm baffled because this guitar had a whole-step raise on the same lever when I got it, and I'm just trying to get a half-step.

as mentioned I did add two more raises (also half-steps) to the same lever on the C6 neck. all the other changes work fine.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 4:23 pm    

Scott, if it's lubed. And Nothing in the changer or pull train to cause binding? And the lower return spring is tight. I no nothing to suggest other than adding a tad more travel. Have you tried backing off the new changes completely? Just curious if that indeed caused the problem.

b.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 6:20 am    

See my post.
Very similar issue but a different type of guitar.

I backed off ALL hex screws connected to that string until there was no effect.. Then retuned open string and readjusted hex screws.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=311176

K

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 7:12 am    

As discussed recently in another thread, temporarily disconnect the pull rod from the bell crank and work the pull rod by hand to see if you can get both the full raise and an in-tune return. If you can, then you've ruled out a changer mechanical malfunction.