The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Baffle in 70's Super reverb.
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 10:49 am    

I am getting ready to recover a 75 Super Reverb I picked up a couple of months ago. It sounds right, but looks horrible.. The Frame for the grill cloth is made from oriented strand board. Pretty sure this is not original. Also, the speaker baffle is made of 3/4 inch particle board. Is this the correct material?. Even if it is, I will probably replace it as it is starting to crumble. Would birch ply be good for the speaker baffle or should I use a different material? All opinions are welcome.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 1:47 pm    

Jim,
That is probably correct for the period.
I would use 5/8 birch plywood for a replacement.
I have done three Super Reverbs and replaced the baffle board with that 5/8 birch material. I would measure the old baffle if possible to determine the overall size and cutout placement. The round cutouts can be cut using a sabre saw, bit for cutting a starter hole, and a lot of patience. I use tee nuts with the flange at the front and screws and washers at the rear. The end of the screws usually protrude a little at the front, so I use a 1/8" thick x 1" trim strip around the front edges of the baffle and also for an area for the Fender emblem to mount. I spray the baffle when complete with flat or satin black spray paint.
This is time consuming, but if done correctly it will last a long time. I would look for the Fender aged grill cloth. You may prefer a new look, but I tried it and did not. I put it on with a heavy duty staple gun.
Lefty

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 9:46 pm    

Fender began using particle board baffles in the early 60's on. I believe all BF amps have them.
Having said that, I recently acquired a Princeton Reverb with a replaced birch baffle from Mojo. It sounds noticeably better than my other stock amp with particle board.
Open back pine cab, birch baffle, a good combination.
You could also keep what you have and have someone build you a new combo cab.
J

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 8:50 am    

I have cut some 15" baffle boards and re-grilled them with pretty good results but a 4x10 would be a lot of work. Personally I would go with a grilled SR baffle from Mojotone. The cost of materials would be almost as much as what they are asking for the finished product:

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Baffles_x/Blackface-Super-Reverb-Style-Baffle-4x10_3

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 9:25 am    

the particle board baffle is probably original. they also used it in some of the velcro attached grill cloth frames. they warp and twist and have to be replaced.

if you are going all out to replace it then you have several ways to go. you can go back original....but that amp is not that collectible so i would upgrade it. the thickness of the baffle board has a lot to do with the sound of the amp. maybe you did not know that the 4 10 tweed bassman has a very thin baffle board...a little over 1/4 inch! it adds low frequency to the amp. the whole board is pulsing. the super reverb has a much much thicker baffle...1/2" to 3/4". that is one reason for the high pitch of the amp. you have several ways you can go. your mileage may vary.

Jim Kennedy

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 9:31 am    

Thanks for the advice. I totally forgot about Mojotone selling cabinets and such. I probably will go that route.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 10:01 am    

Or Fobro Rick Johnson makes damn fine cabs.

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:32 am    

My SF Deluxe Reverb was developing a whole bunch of problems related to the general deterioration of the cabinet. I just had Mather Amps build me a new cabinet, and moved the guts into it. What a huge difference it made in that amp! I just stored the original, as you never know what the vintage market is going to do.

Jim Kennedy

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 5:45 pm    

This is what's great about the forum. Plenty of good suggestions for a sticky problem. Well worth the price of admission. Thanks all.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 10:47 pm    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
I would go with a grilled SR baffle from Mojotone. The cost of materials would be almost as much as what they are asking for the finished product:

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Baffles_x/Blackface-Super-Reverb-Style-Baffle-4x10_3

Wow talk about knowing their market. Good call Mojotone.. And they might make baffles to order in case you want a 15" or 12's instead of the 4x10's.

Baltic birch ply according to their site.