The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6th tuning on a Wessenborn
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 9:57 am    

As a relative newby to the World of Weissenborn (I've had one for decades, but only recently set it up), I have observed that most Weiss player's tunings seem to favor the low-bass variants of G (or A) and D (or E). There's also a few who use the standard G dobro tuning, and less often its older sister, high-bass A.

A few years back I got into playing 22.5" scale 6-string lap steels, mostly in C6 and A6 tunings with the "E" on top. Does anyone use a 6th tuning on a Weissenborn, and if so, which one?

I have followed Adam Tracksler's recent thread
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=310813
with interest. Adam, b0b, and others, refer to a G6 tuning with a "B" on top. This is the tuning that I'm considering for my Weissenborn. It would seem more suited than standard C6 at achieving maximum performance from the natural acoustic properties of the instrument.

Does anyone use that G6 tuning on a Weissenborn? If so, what string gauges work best? Also, do you use a plain or wound string for the "G" on the second string? Don't believe I've ever noticed anyone using a wound string in the second position.

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 10:21 am    

I use that G6 tuning on a dobro, so I cant see why it wouldnt work. I think I'm using a regular acoustic guitar set of strings, probably D'Addario..... probably mediums (maybe 12's)

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 10:56 am    

I could be wrong, but I think weissenborn style guitars are built to tolerate a certain amount of string tension. Over that, you risk damage. Mine was set up with D'Addario reso strings 16-56, I think, and in DADF+AD

You might wait for several replies before jumping in. A dobro can take a lot more tension than a weissenborn.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:56 am    

Rick Abbott wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think weissenborn style guitars are built to tolerate a certain amount of string tension. Over that, you risk damage. Mine was set up with D'Addario reso strings 16-56, I think, and in DADF+AD

Surely if string guages are chosen wisely, you can have pretty much any tuning you want and maintain the same string tension?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 3:34 pm    

Here's some string gauge advice for C6th on a Weissenborn from master luthier Bill Asher:

For new Master builds C6
C E G A C E
.039, .032, .026, .022, .018, .013

For vintage acoustic Weissenborn type guitars use this lighter adjusted set.
C E G A C E
.036, .029, .024, .019, .016, .011

*NOTE always use a wound third string for slide guitar sets.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 4:37 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Rick Abbott wrote:

Surely if string guages are chosen wisely, you can have pretty much any tuning you want and maintain the same string tension?

Indeed! But, that's not how the conversation was going. I wanted to add the voice of caution. When I read the prior posts it looked like a comparison between a weiss and a dobro was happening. You are dead right...and Andy showed up with the data!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35