The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Scene in Tampa, FL
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 5:57 am    

As I get closer to retiring, I'm thinking of possibly relocating to Tampa, FL to live out my golden years.

Can anyone tell me if the steel guitar is alive and well in the Tampa/St Petersburg, FL area?

Thanks,

Don

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 6:07 am    

I live in the far Northern suburbs. There are a very few steel jobs and Florida pay is for crap. Lucky to get $50 for a job.

The current gig I'm doing (last 7 years) the band gets the door. We range from a low of $35 in the summer to a high of $90 in the winter when all the snowbirds are here. Our gig is in Oxford which is the West side of The Villages.

When I first moved to the area in 96, I was in New Port Richey and there were no jobs there. Every job I got was either east in the Lakeland area or north in Citrus or Sumter Co. One reason I moved north to Inverness.

Of the regulars in our Florida Steel Guitar Club, there are only three of us, that I know of, that are picking regularly.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 8:17 am     Fla

Thanks Jack!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 1:30 pm    

Hey Don, I used to see posting on here of a Steel Club out of Sarasota area. That would not be to far South of you, I am sure you can get more info on here. J.R.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 11:51 pm    

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area for 20 years now, & gig pretty regularly,with what I consider to be the top band in the area, but the downsides are the following:

1. Pay sucks...about $50 per man. I won't go out for less, or do "jams" or freebies.

2. A good percentage of the musicians are mostly substandard & unprofessional. The majority of bands here are mediocre at best. Guitar & bass players love to overplay to the max. They show up with crap equipment, don't have spare cables or strings, and tend to drink a little too much. Unfortunately, onstage drunkeness is pretty much accepted here as the norm.

3. There is a lack of integrity among many of the musicians here; they will stab each other in the back over a $40 gig.There isn't the "brotherhood" here among musicians that there was back home, although there may be an exception for steelers; most are pretty cool guys. Being here as long as I have been, I have learned which players are cool & which ones to avoid; fortunately most of the "backstabbers" are long gone over the last few years.

One last thing. When I first moved here, the first drummer I worked with told me "The better you are; the LESS you'll work." Thought he was joking, 'till I found out it's true... Many Band leaders/singers do NOT want "HOT" pickers in their band, 'cause they think it steals their thunder. Most want adequate players; nothing more. I tend to avoid these bands.

On the plus side...you don't hafta shovel snow ever again!

If I had known what I know about Tampa Bay when I still lived in NYC, I NEVER would've moved here. I woulda followed my original plan & gone to Austin. if you wanna play on a REAL pro scene, I would think you'ld be better off in Austin, SA, or Houston. That's where I wish I was!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 11:13 am     Tampa

Rick,

Interesting perspective. I've thought about Austin too. My daughter lives in Round Rock which is about 20 minutes North of Austin.

I think I'm a mediocre player at best although most people consider me better than that. Maybe we're our own worst critics. So maybe Tampa wouldn't be a bad choice.

Truth be told, I don't have (or hardly ever had) a paying gig anyway. I've been playing in church for the most part for years. It's been interesting trying to insert steel guitar into today's contemporary worship where Chris Tomlin and Hillsong type songs seem to dominate today's church music...at least where I go.

Once again, thanks for the response and perspective.

Don

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 3:21 pm    

Don, If you decide to come to Tampa, look me up. Better yet come to our Florida Steel Guitar Club jams. About an hour north of Tampa in Lake Panasoffkee.

BTW. I too was a Fed Government Employee (SSA).

www.floridasteelguitarclub.com

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 8:25 am    

Will do Jack!