The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar & Steel? Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 III
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 7:17 am    

I just have to share how pleased I am using the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 III for moderate volume bar gigs. I set the clean channel for my Pedal Steel (I use one pedal board for it.), and it also handles any clean Tele work nicely too. Then, the Drive channel is great for my overdriven Lap Steel stuff (2nd pedal board for it. It really just lets me get away from needing to touch my Pedal Steel Volume Pedal when I'm standing up...) That channel also works well for more overdriven Strat and Les Paul tones.

It's got enough power to do the job (60W). It's kind of become my swiss army knife amp, when I'm needing to play all of those instruments on the same gig.

My $0.02,

David Spires

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:41 am    

totally agree David, I have one of the first issue HR Devilles, 2 x 12. Although I don't use it often anymore, it served double duty for a very long time , and it still can.

The 60 watt HR Deville is the answer to the 40 watt HR Deluxe not offering enough headroom. It's a great amp.

It doesn't cover the same ground as a Twin Reverb but it's not all that far behind.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 1:12 pm    

David, what speaker are you using?

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 1:38 pm    

It's a 2x12", and whatever came in it, stock - it's a DeVille 212 III (roman numeral 3).

For what it's worth, I believe in "modding" a commercially available amp about as much as I want to drop a different type engine in my mini-van. If one of these Fenders, Peaveys, etc, doesn't fit your bill - there are plenty of boutique makers that have made their own version of improvements to choose from.

I guess, for my use, I like understanding what my hands and instrument sound like through a "standard" amp, so that when I find that I'm forced to use a different one (same model), I know how it will respond. Most players never deal with that, so I realize that I'm probably odd in that respect.

Sincerely,

David Spires

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 2:10 pm    

That's just because you are busy playing on the road and don't have time to obsess like the rest of us!.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 2:56 pm    

Oops... bad cell phone.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 5:33 pm    

David Spires wrote:
For what it's worth, I believe in "modding" a commercially available amp about as much as I want to drop a different type engine in my mini-van. If one of these Fenders, Peaveys, etc, doesn't fit your bill - there are plenty of boutique makers that have made their own version of improvements to choose from.

I applaud that attitude and endorse it 100%. If you don't like any given amp the way it is, trade it off on something else. If things keep going the way they are, future generations will have no idea what any given model of vintage amp is supposed to sound like.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 2:32 am    

The Fender Gold Label Eminence should be stock in the HR series amps, I suspect the HR Deville III as well. For me, these are basically the only speakers I use now in all of my amps, Nashville 112 included ( not the N400 though ) .

They are bright, very easy on the mid ranges and easy to dial in. This past year I added one to my Nashville 112 and it changed the entire EQ curve of the amp, it is no longer MID RANGE strong.

Like David and others, I am not one who modify's stock amp electronics, they are what they are. Speakers, sure I'll try a few different ones but even at that I have reached my stopping point.

Here's the Fender Eminence stock speaker.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 4:13 pm    

I would agree I used a twin for steel, 6 string and bari for long time. I would expect the same performance from a hr deville. I played bari through a deville and really liked it. Would not hesitate using a deville for any reason.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 5:48 pm    

Are there any youtube samples of that speaker with steel using a PV N112 or similar?

I am currently assessing 12 inch speaker options.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 7:46 am    

Tom Gorr wrote:
Are there any youtube samples of that speaker with steel using a PV N112 or similar?

I am currently assessing 12 inch speaker options.

None that I am aware of , I put one in my N112 as I was tired of chasing the MIDS with the stock speaker. My experience with these Gold Labels is that they lean towards bright, mild in the mids, ok on the low end. In the amp it's like night and day compared to the stock Blue Marvel. I'm playing Emmons Steels with stock single coils, A Legrande II and a Push Pull. The amp can tend to be bright now but it can be tamed,no presence added anymore, I would rather deal with bright than search for a happy mid range !

Yes, it's an 8 ohm speaker in the 4 ohm amp, it doesn't care, nobody cares, over a year now !

I'll look to see if any of the recent gigs I played may have a video or recording, there may be. Maybe I'll record this afternoons gig and see what happens.