The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  POG2 plus Neo Vent/Strymon Lex
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 11:01 am    

Herb, the compressor made a big difference for me. I read a lot of threads on this and decided on the Hotone (see my photo). Works well with my Wallace TT pickups.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 11:29 am    

Herb,

I have almost the same setup as Tom using the Electro Harmonix B9 pedal with the Strymon Lex. I use a pedal board switcher (One Control Black Loop 2) so that I can run the pickup directly into the organ + Lex to Volume pedal when I want organ (the B9 sucks tone if its in line). A compressor in front would help and I may add one, but I get good sustain by picking hard and using the volume pedal as an expression pedal.

The secret is the Strymon Lex. First, it is a really good Leslie emulator and sounds great on stage. Second, it has the ability to add a remote switch to control rotor speed. I built a remote paddle switch (see internet for schematic - $10 of Radio shack parts and a TRS 5" cable) that I Velcro'ed to the back of the guitar body. It works just like a Hammond Leslie switch except I use the right hand. To me, the use of fast/slow Leslie switching combined with the expression pedal is the cat's meow to organ playing.

I was not able to control the B9 modulation knob while I played and it didn't sound very good on "fast" anyway. Adding the Lex and the remote switch gave me the sound that I was looking for. Ramping that fast rotor up and down with a church ending makes my hair stand up. The Lex by itself sounds pretty good emulating a steel with a Leslie.

The B9 isn't perfect and I would like to have a couple of the C9 sounds too, but I found the B9 to work just fine on stage for most songs. I don't try and take many leads with the B9 setup. Between tracking and pitch control (no bending or slides) issues, it's just not ideal. Pads really rip though...It needs a 15" speaker to sound good and I use a Nashville 400. It really makes playing C6th jazz fun too...

I play a Hammond XK3 with a Motion Sound setup in Blues bands and the B9 with the Lex for steel is close enough that I'm happy. Sure beats carrying both... I'll try and edit this to add a picture of my setup. PM me if you want a picture emailed.

Bill

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 6:16 pm    

The Ventilator sounds very nice. EH is getting closer to realistic organ sounds but not the Hammond with the spinning Leslie. EH is innovative so just have to wait.

I did a demo that I posted before on the EH B9 with pedal steel. Go to YouTube and search Leonard Amaral for the EHB9 demo.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 8:00 am    

Len,
EHX has the Lester G which is their Leslie effect pedal.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 8:10 am    

Erv, I have not tried the Lester G. I have have heard good things about it. Does it ramp up and down? Getting the Hammond sound into a simulated ritating speaker would be very cool.

Nice thing about EH B9, C9 and Key 9 is you don't need MIDI just a 1/4 inch jack from VP to pedal to amp.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 8:27 am    

Len,
I've got the B-9 and the Lester together in an effects chain but I'm still dialing it in. I think it's a good combination.
The Lester has an "acceleration" knob which controls the speed at which the pedal goes from slow to fast speed.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 10:44 am    

I decided to add a compressor in front of my B9 to help sustain the organ sound. I'm pretty cheap, so I bought a KOKKO FCP2 ($19). I'm not very impressed with this evolution. The KOKKO sucks the highs from the signal and that is passed to the B9 as well. That is not always a bad thing, since it tames the upper drawbar sounds on some of the patches. The string attack is significantly changed even on the lowest sustain setting. I am also finding that even with the compressor sustaining the steel signal, the B9 still drops the 3rds and 5ths at the same time (~6 to 8 seconds) regardless of the hotness of the original signal. The root will sustain for a very long time with the compressor. I'm going to try some other hopefully more transparent compressors, but since the B9 is dropping the higher harmonics based on time of signal this may not help. The B9 is pretty good without the compressor anyway if you put it before the volume pedal.

Bill

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 3:42 pm    

Herb, One of my students demoed his B3 simlation using a POG2 to get a great organ sound, and the Strymon Lex for the Leslie sound, really sounded great and fat. He also built a momentary switch to ramp up and down the Lex, he velcroed that to the changer endplate of his steel.

I'm curious about the Lester pedal now. From youtube videos, the full Neo Vent has the best sound.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2017 5:14 am    

I'm really happy with the Strymon Lex (and B9). It's important to have a remote Leslie rotor speed switch that you can quickly hit with your right hand and the Lex has the ability to easily add the remote.

The Lex does everything that I want in a Leslie emulator and has a very good growl when you want it for Blues/Rock. We play "House Of The Rising Sun" and the organ gets great comments, especially from other musicians.

This whole setup works best from a pedal board. I added an A/B loop switch so that I can quickly go back to a basic steel tone. Sometimes you need organ pad right into steel solo.

Bill