The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thinking of upgrading
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 7:38 am    

I have a GFI S-10 SM that I purchased off the forum about a year ago. It works fine but I have an idea that I'd like to upgrade to a pro model guitar or, at least a better student model (4 knees).
I really like the pull/release changer for it's simplicity and the fact that it stays in tune.
What affordable pull/release would be the best fit for an upgrade. I don't have a large budget and this steel would have to be sold before I thought about an upgrade.
Any advice would be helpful.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 7:47 am    

If I were looking for a "pro" model pull / release with a small budget, I would look at a good used Marlin S-10 or D-10. You might be able to get a good Marlen D-10 for under $2000.

Personal preference, I like the all wood models instead of the mica.

Tone to the bone, and they stay in tune.

Word of warning, D-10 is heavy, eat your Cheerios...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 8:17 am    

With all due respect to Scott. To each his own as they say. While many of the old Marlens do sound great. I never cared for their pull release pedal mechanism. Don't think Marlen did either. They changed to an all pull. For whatever reason you feel you must have a pull release system. I'd just keep what you have. A lot of the guy's rave about the Stage One and the Mullen Discovery. Just a thought.

b.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 9:38 am    

I just like the pull/release changer because it's simple and stays in tune. I think a push/pull would be hazardous to my mental health. I suppose I could explore other options.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 10:00 am    

I think if you went to an All Pull guitar you would thank yourself. Modern all pul guitars sound great and stay in tune just as good or better than the other options.
JMHO.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 11:42 am    

Unless you want to tinker, I'd get a Stage One instead of a Marlen. It's new and already set up.
And if you like pull-release, get one.
If you want a custom copedent, get a Simmons. Brand new custom pro model pull-release

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 11:57 am    

Charlie, if you like pull release changer, and Marlen guitars, just wait for one, and it will show up...or you can post under steels for sale, that you are trading your GFI for a nice pull release Marlen, I think there may be guys interested in trade like that out there...if that's what you like, go for it...

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 12:11 pm    

The Marlen P/R changer is absolutely bulletproof, and once set up will stay that way pretty much forever... Problem with Marlens is you can't always find them...
The stage one is a nice enough guitar, but is it REALLY that much of a step up from his student model GFI???..
My Marlen has been my #1 for years now, and my other all pull steels stayed at home... past few years I have had Fessy, GFI, 2 different MSA, 2 different Buds, Carter,ETS, Dekley, and probably something I forgot, oh yeah, a Fender 800... All gone, while the Marlen stayed put.. It stays in tune BETTER than any steel guitar I have ever owned, in 40 years.. It has been adjusted in years, and is perfectly in tune always.. Oh yes, the high G# is 3 years old.. In the 5 or so years I have had this guitar, it has only broken 1 string.. Its a WAY better guitar than a Stage One, sorry guys... Tough to set up, and tough to change copedent, but once done, its perfect and stays that way... The sound is lovely, old school,"wood and strings" as well... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 1:22 pm    

Weight is another factor. I don't need a steel that weighs as much as my car. I was leaning toward a Stage One but I would probably like a more pro model. I had a Sho Bud Pro 1 back in the 70s when I thought I was going to be a star but that never happened so I sold it after six months and took a 40 year break. It was a much nicer guitar to play than any student model I've tried but even as a single neck it was quite heavy and I was 40 years younger then.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 1:31 pm    

Simmons. Pro features, custom built pull-release. I've played and worked on one.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 1:37 pm    

Is the pull/compress changer that they use the same as a pull/release?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 1:51 pm    

It is going to be hard to find guitar that is lighter then Pro l tho... Pro l is a great guitar, and very light, hard to beat those little guitars...

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 4:34 pm    

Charlie, after my experiences with pull release, I gotta go with Jeff on this one. Once I switched to all pull, life got better. I agree on the Marlen. There are some that are very fine instruments. But as you progress, the all pull guitars have numerous advantages. But, as it is said, to each his own. Get what you like and like what you get I guess.

Let us know which way you choose.

All the best.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 7:16 am    

Charlie Hansen wrote:
I just like the pull/release changer because it's simple and stays in tune. I think a push/pull would be hazardous to my mental health. I suppose I could explore other options.

Any well-made all-pull pedal steel will stay in tune just as well as a pull-release model, maybe even better. Winking

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 8:44 am    

I've been playing and tinkering with a Marlen for about a year now. The design of the changer is simple, but if you're really adamant about putting a certain pedal or knee lever change on there it can get complicated pretty quickly. More complicated than a push-pull. At least with a push pull there's already a spot and a system in place for a raise or lower for each string.

If you look at the undercarriage of older Marlens you'll notice that Leonard changed things up quite a bit. Different bell cranks, cross shaft mounts, and lowering mechanisms from year to year. Mine was built more like a Permanent, with welded bell cranks and cross shafts that vary in lengths depending on their original function. If you're a stickler for things being tidy and matching, an older Marlen is probably not for you unless you're willing to just play it as is.

Some of the things I like about the Marlen are the same things I like about the push pull. Added mass on the fingers and stops against the body for the raises. The Marlen also has enormous changer axles, as well as wide string spacing which gives the fingers more mass. To me that sort of design makes a lot of sense for tone and resonance. Best of all though the guitar just sings, and with a sound I like. Very bright, and a focused low end.

First pic is of my guitar, second one is of another Marlen from Ned McIntosh. The undercarriage of that guitar is a work of art. Good luck to you and happy hunting!

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 10:26 am    

I say you should grab up a Mullen Discovery. All you would ever need. Great tone and stays in tune. Right now you can get one in less than two weeks.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/discovery.htm#.WGvskYWcGUk

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 10:53 am    

But it's not the pull-release he says he wants.
If you want pull-release, either find a used Marlen or get a new Simmons.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 11:34 am    

Charlie, you mentioned that you are wary of push-pull and you prefer pull-release, but you haven't mentioned all-pull. Just want to make sure you understand that all-pull is different than the other two types. The vast majority of new guitars are all-pull. Although the all-pull changer itself is more complex, the guitars are arguably the most versatile and easiest to work on when changing pedals and knees. Forgive me if you're already clear on the three basic types - I just wanted to clarify just in case.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 2:41 pm    

I have two guitars in mind: A Simmons or an Encore. I know the Encore isn't pull/release but it gets great reviews and they're both about the same price point. My mind could be changed if there's anything else on the market with similar features and a similar price point.
Thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 3:43 pm    

The Mullen mentioned above is aimed at a similar market to the Encore. Both have characteristics which only used to be associated with "professional" instruments.