The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advanced pick blocking technique videos?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 5:31 pm    

Has Paul Franklin, or anyone else, done a video of advanced pick blocking technique with everything shown AND explained? I'm curious about a technique I've seen where the index finger is anchored and thumb and middle are busy picking. Wondering how, and why, that's done.

Thanks for links and referrals.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 6:31 pm    

I see one in Joe's free vids site called Pick Blocking Movie:

http://www.pedalsteel.com/joe/Members/tea/teach.html

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 8:10 am    

I have a video lesson where I show and explain in detail how I use the pick blocking technique. I cover such things as, playing on a couple of strings throughout various frets and also, how to play from strings 10 to 1 and 1 to 10. I teach some fast licks, showing the subtleties and fingering I use for this technique. You can watch a short preview here if you like: http://www.dalerivard.com/paid.html

Terry Hickey

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 3:18 pm    

I have really been impressed with Dale Rivard's Videos. I have improved a lot with his help...

His pick blocking explanation is the best I've seen.
It has some very detailed information utilizing a lot of different patterns.

I started as a palm blocker and now can do both
pretty well...

Take Care Terry Hickey

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 11:02 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
I see one in Joe's free vids site called Pick Blocking Movie:

http://www.pedalsteel.com/joe/Members/tea/teach.html

I haven't seen this free video yet... But if you're willing to buy Joe Wright's Pick/Palm Blocking DVD, he does go into EXTENSIVE detail explaining Pick-Blocking. The entire DVD is several hours long.

Although this lesson is targeted towards making a smooth transition between the two techniques... Joe is primarily a Pick-Blocker, so that technique is prominent.

I've also heard good things about his "Secrets of the Wright Hand" DVD... but I haven't watched that one myself.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 10:23 pm    

John, I've been considering doing one. It drives me pretty bonkers how bad some of the instruction is that's being sold to people as "good" and something to strive for. There sure is a lot of horrible instruction out there for right hand technique in particular. I know of nothing that really gets into the secrets of very high level execution, or if it claims to, it's actually very sloppy. I know that doesn't help answer your question, but I couldn't help myself.

Typically when I'm doing what you're talking about, it's just being used an as anchor point for my other two fingers. For example, if you were doing a repeating lick on strings 4 & 6, and your index was sitting on 5. I don't actually typically do that as a rule, but it just sort of happens sometimes. I don't wanna answer for Paul, but I think it's more of a habit of chance for him as well. Not necessarily a functional one. The same things could certainly be played without having that finger anchored there, and quite often are. I actually have a tendency to have my index floating around a bit (also very non-functional), just from the influence of watching Tommy White when I was learning to play.

Now if I could just find the time to do a video...

-t

Here's one I posted on FB earlier today that features my index floating around a good bit towards the end of the solo...

https://youtu.be/PUSfVlUW3Fk

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 10:51 pm    

Quote:
John, I've been considering doing one. It drives me pretty bonkers how bad some of the instruction is that's being sold to people as "good" and something to strive for. There sure is a lot of horrible instruction out there for right hand technique in particular. I know of nothing that really gets into the secrets of very high level execution, or if it claims to, it's actually very sloppy.

Just had to give Travis an A-Men. I know we're supposed it keep it positive and politically correct here. But this needed to be said. And written by someone with the game to back up what they write.

b.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 10:47 pm    

Quote:
Advanced pick blocking technique videos

If you'll click the link to Trivs's video. You'll see one. I some how missed it yesterday.

Enjoyed it Travis. Nice note choices, well executed, it swings. Total package. Think I'll sit down and try to steal a lick or two. Need something to do for the rest of the winter. Very Happy

b.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:50 am    

And this is a great closeup of Travis' right hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqzCti1Z1c

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 2:22 pm    

Sounds like a plan. Just let us know.RS

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 11:13 am    

Travis,
I think there a lot of people that would love to see a video from you. If you do make one, please include tab with right hand fingering. That's where some of the others fall short for me. They don't show how they're picking very clearly.