The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to copy all files except OS to a new XP computer
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 7:10 am    

I have an old computer with Win XP Home that is failing fast.
I'm getting a new one with Win Pro Xp and need to copy all
the programs to it except Windows OS. The reason I'm doing
this most of these programs only run on XP. I already cloned
the entire disc with 2 partitions to an external drive. I don't
want to do something wrong and screw up the new OS on the
computer. Would sure appreciate anyone that can help or walk
me thru this so I don't mess things up. Many thanks in advance.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 7:19 am    

Most (all) programs must be "installed", they can't just be copied from one to another.

The programs must be installed, using the program's installer.

There are (or at least used to be) "mover" programs that would move SOME programs from one PC to another. I tried to use one way back in the XP days and it was a disaster as it moved items I didn't want to move, including everything in the Recycle Bin. The mover programs require a special "crossover" Ethernet cable to connect between the two PC's.

A comment on "clone". From discussions we had (with our software guru's) on the Windows 7 forum, clone is a hit or miss. Sometimes works and sometimes does not (after the clone is run). Clone (when it works) also copies all the bad blocks and data from the drive. You are better off doing a disc "image" (backup) of the entire drive. With an image, just the "good" data is copied, not the bad blocks or corrupted data.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 7:47 am    

Jack, thank you for the reply. I have Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup.
If I image the complete drive to an external drive, will I be able to erase the OS
from the image and copy the rest of the programs to the new computer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 10:16 am    

As I noted in my previous response, you can't copy programs They must be installed. If you don't have the original program installation disc (or file) for a program you won't be able to reinstall that program.

User data such as song files, pictures, documents can be copied.

Making a disc image (all partitions), with Macrium (or some other similar program) is what I would do rather than clone. You can access and copy user data inside the disc image with the Macrium program.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 1:00 pm    

I agree with Jack, just copying applications will not work, especially if they make registry entries in order to operate. You need to have the installation disc so that the proper registry and other changes will be made correctly.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 8:49 am    

Hi Jack,
I know you said that YOU CAN'T COPY PROGRAMS !!....I get that , but do you still have to install programs if you make a "Disc Image " ?.....Thanks...Jim

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 2:57 pm    

If you make a disc image of the hard drive and use that image, no. But in that case you would be overwriting the OS and whatever else is installed on the drive on the "new" computer. If you are going to do that, just install the hard drive from the old PC in the new one and use that. You will have to install the correct hardware device drivers. I don't know if there will be any issue with activation of Windows XP (probably not, but something to consider if you reused the old OS).

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 4:20 am    

Well, I was able to copy all programs to the new computer and they all
worked except a couple I had to download updates to make them work.
It took all week to figure it out, but I got er' done. Works like a charm. Very Happy
What I don't understand is, MS say they don't support XP anymore, but
after I was done it downloaded all the last updates, all 175 of them. Confused Cool

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 6:14 am    

You (apparently) can get the old updates but no new fixes.

If you "copied" programs and they worked, those were programs that do not rely on the OS (place files in the Windows folder). e.g. I have a "USB Tree" utility and it does not "install" on Windows, it just has the .exe file and its run from that file.

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 5:44 am    

If you leave Windows XP on the internet you may be asking for trouble! It is an insecure operating system as it no longer receives security updates. If you are not connected then all should be fine.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 9:30 am    

Pete Nicholls wrote:
If you leave Windows XP on the internet you may be asking for trouble! It is an insecure operating system as it no longer receives security updates. If you are not connected then all should be fine.

You can make your web browsing a little safer on older Windows operating systems if you log into Windows as a Limited User, rather than as an Administrator. In fact, even on XP, operating as a less privileged user can reduce your likelihood of being silently exploited by over 90%. Additionally, if you either ditch Adobe Flash, or at least make sure you are alerted when a new version is released and update it ASAP, and you uninstall Java completely and keep any other browser plug-ins updated as well, you probably won't experience a silent takeover (aka: drive-by exploitation) via your web browser.

Of possible, do not use Internet Explorer as your default web browser, especially versions older than IE 11. It uses technology that is very easy to exploit, compared to Firefox and Google Chrome. But, they too must be protected from scripting tricks.

If you do email on an XP computer, or any other Windows OS, you should have a security program that can detect and block both known and zero day Phishing, Keylogging and Ransomware scams in email links and attachments. I use Trend Micro Internet Security (link) and the new Malwarebytes (link) to protect my PCs.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 5:58 pm    

Lap link is one of the very best pieces of soft/hardware to transfer files. Its now officially endorsed by Microsoft whatever thats worth. I have used it for years.

Tom Keller

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 7:30 pm    

Yep, that program is called PCMover, by LapLink. It costs about $60 for a one-time move of as many programs as it can manage to transfer.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 9:12 am    

I haven't used the updated on line version. I always borrowed the lap link cable that connected two computers and the install disk from my IT department. Smile

Tom Keller

If the online version works as well as the cable its well worth the expense.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 9:40 am    

I tried that program one time, I think in the XP days, and it moved items I didn't want to move and didn't move items I wanted moved. It even moved the entire contents of the Recycle Bin. Fortunately it was a new PC and I was able to reinstall back to the original factory disc image and then manually reinstall programs and move user data.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 8:13 am    

A strategy for future-proofing that might work for you is to use virtual machines to run old XP programs. You'll need install media or possibly a disk image.

If the XP-based programs need PCI drivers or access to a parallel port it might be a bit trickier. Virtualbox claims PCI support but I have not tested it.

I have a Win2k VM that runs even old Win3.1 programs.