The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Custom - Student
Tom Karsiotis

Oregon,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 1:08 pm    

I have had a ZB Custom sitting around here for a few years and am putting it in playing shape. I'm getting clues that this ZB may have been altered. First there is only one knee lever, but two unused holes for additional ones. Second, the pickup is extremely microphonic. It picks up all the pedal noise and simply tapping on it is picked up also. I have tried surgical tubing on the mounting screws and foam under the pickup and there is little improvement. Is it possible that the mechanics are worn out and it needs an overhaul?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 1:34 pm    

Microphonics are a function of the pickup, not the guitar.
I'd doubt the guitar needs a teardown and rebuild, but the pickup might need either repotting or rewinding.

Tom Karsiotis

Oregon,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 1:50 pm    

I suspect that it is the pickup, but many ZB players swear by ZB pickups. I posted the pictures to see if anybody thinks that the pickup is not stock.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 2:06 pm    

It may just need repotting (pouring melted beeswax or something like it into the cavity, although some used epoxy), instead of rewinding.
Microphonics happen when there's relative movement between the components of the pickup, and most pickups are potted to hold everything together, but the potting may degrade over the intervening decades.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 2:35 pm    

I don't know that this pertains to "microphonic-ity", but as Dave Zirbel and others have pointed out in other threads, student ZB pickups are single impedance, not selectable three-way in terms of impedance the way pro models are.

For what it's worth...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 4:12 pm    

The only way to truly tell how microphonic a pickup is is to remove the strings. (With the strings off, you should hear little or no noise when you tap a normal pickup.) However, it looks like you have adjustable pole-piece screws in the pickup, and if those screws are loose, that will also add to the mechanical noise you may hear in the amp.

Also, pickups that are slightly microphonic can sometimes have a great sound, so you may want to be judicious about replacing a pickup that is only slightly microphonic. I recommend replacement only if the noise is severe when you're actually playing the guitar, or if the pickup causes feedback.

Cool

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 5:08 pm    

Again, Donny is correct. Slightly microphonic pickups are very desirable in my book. They pickup body vibrations and add to tone.