The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Scott Grove - BEWARE of Buying his Lap Steel Guitar lessons
Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 8:10 am    

Just so you guys know I have published works out there on the web. I wrote a beginner guitar chord method book called the "Inversion Guitar Chord Method" that I sell on Reverb and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Inversion-Guitar-Chord-Method/dp/B00BUW3OJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483286300&sr=8-1&keywords=Inversion+Guitar+Chord+Method

I know how scary it is to put yourself out there. I wrote this book after studying jazz guitar with many great teachers for many years. I also taught guitar privately for 15 years and 10 years part time at two Universities. This book took me five years to complete. I tested and revised it more time than I can count to get a method and a product to a quality that I felt worthy of putting out there as a paid product.
So for me to see someone put something out there that is so armature it is an insult to the quality control expectations I have put on myself. I still feel I need to improve the product. It's a work in progress.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2017 8:21 pm    

Be careful, folks, he may start tweeting at you…

In all seriousness, especially with the hashtags and so on, it's possible Scott may show up here. I hope so, and would like to sincerely offer this.

Scott- I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and allow that your methodology of just scratching the surface of what any instrument can do, with absolutely minimal technique, might work for you, garner you a few gigs and (somehow) satisfy your personal desire "to be a player". However, anyone with any smidgen of awareness must realize that the masters, and aspirants, over all the years of musicianship have spent many thousands of hours at the craft and technique of self expression on the instruments you "teach". While a very few styles, like punk, are attainable with a limited musical vocabulary, the very styles you seek to demonstrate are among those that require such diligence and dedication. It's demonstrable logic, and musical history. Your incredibly simplistic, condescending approach is frankly doing a grave dis-service to those who wish to eventually find themselves among "musicians".
I think your "lessons" have a place, for enabling folks who simply want to play-act at being musicians, whip out a lick or two to wow the other drunken frat folk, etc., but please consider the true commitment and application it takes to become a real player… and leave the teaching to those who wish to inspire and inoculate those with the desire to actually learn. Peace.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2023 4:34 pm    

I just stumbled across this thread and this buffoon Scott Groves states in his YouTube video about pedal steel guitar "there is no reason why in one week you can go on stage and sound like a professinal". I'm thinking if an actual beginner purchases this garbage video and goes to a gig thinking he's gonna sound like a professional he's going to get laughed off the stage by the band. This buffoon is a nut job who should be in a straight jacket in a padded room instead of teaching

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 9:33 am    

There's a song named after him......Shady Grove.....

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 10:48 am    

I probably should keep my yap shut, but as a newer member, it's really disappointing to see a 7 year old thread brought up, bashing other people. I don't care how bad they are or what they're trying to sell.

Jesus thought for a moment and then replied, “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”
Seems that might kinda apply in one way or another here too.

I was also brought up in a music community in which you don't bash lesser players, even if they think they're the best on the block. There is ALWAYS someone better and what's the purpose anyway? To make yourself look better? As far as 'warning' others... seems like we are all big boys here and don't need mama's protection....and if we make a mistake, don't we learn from our mistakes?

The internet is all too easy to sit behind a computer and dish out negative remarks, without the boldness of saying something face to face.
I have no idea how this reply will be received and if it even gets deleted or not. I'm totally new here...but... If I'm the subject of nasty replies that won't have the boldness to say it to my face, then I just wasted $5 on my new membership.
C'mon you all... put on your big girl panties and act like an adult.
/rant

BTW...I've watched quite a few of his videos...seems the comments here are in conflict with the ones on his videos. Many people with lesser abilities than Scott seem to glean quite a bit from his efforts. As a person that also posts YouTubes, I watch many other channels as well. I click off the ones that don't keep my interest. Easy Peasy.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 11:28 am    

Chris Harwood wrote:
C'mon you all... put on your big girl panties and act like an adult.

It's one thing to bash someone for making an occasional mistake, but that's not what's happening here. People are rightly disparaging someone for making a career out of spreading misinformation and directly, openly insulting his potential customers, along with anyone who disagrees with him. And many of us have said so right to his face, or at least as close as we can come to that.

I agree the thread did not need to be revived after six years. Arguably, the adult response would have been to let remain dormant. But to say that the negative posts on this thread are childish is a mischaracterization of what's going on.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2023 4:29 am    

Locked due to harassment.