The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quality control
Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 7:04 am    

Fellow Forumites,
We're playing at a VFW every week-end and starting in Jan. twice on the week-ends. Problem, my bass player and drummer are too loud and I've told them before that we're too loud and so has some of the audience. Still hasn't changed their ways. We've been a trio since 1981 and the bass player and I started playing over 50 yrs. ago. What do you do to get these guys under control?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:20 am    

Have a private word with the manager and have him/her tell you all that you (collectively) need to turn down or you're outta there. The customers are complaining and that's bad for business.

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 9:56 am    

Hi Jim,
That's been done and they still don't get it. I don't believe that they ever will. I've gotten to the point where I'm going to call it quits. Thanks for your input Jim. Hope you have a merry X-mas and a happy holiday season,
Rich

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 10:00 am    

Okay, so maybe you can get him to actually fire you. Then maybe the guys will finally get it and you can get rehired back after a few weeks, on probation?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 10:04 am    

Been there many times. There's nothing you can do. You can't make people quit playing like they play. Especially anyone been playing that long. All you can do is tell them face to face it's too dxxx loud! and you're out of there if things don't change...which they won't, so be ready....or just clam up and live with it.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 8:00 am    

For the most part, I avoid booking the VFW-Fish/Fowl clubs anymore, the clientele don't really seem to want a live band anymore. They want to hang out and chat (which is fine, why not just turn on the radio?), and the ones that want it quiet always seem to sit in front of the speakers so they can complain.

Last year we played a place that was a 4 hour drive, ended up turning the mains all the way off, drummer on brushes, amps down to 1 or 2, basically just playing for ourselves, and one of the officers came to the stage and gave us a tongue lashing about our volume that was exceptionally rude and offensive. They've called us to book again but we've told them thanks, but no thanks.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 8:55 am    

Hey Richard -

Do you do any or all of the singing? What about playing to backing tracks? You would be in complete control of volume and repertoire, you pocket all the cash, and if you can avoid schlepping around your own PA system, you're home free. Just sayin'...

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 3:20 pm     control

Thank you Frank, I have often thought about doing a solo act. Yes, I used to be the main singer, now I share the load. Walter, we have a number of singers and musicians that like to get up and sing and I've asked them, are we too loud and they reply, heck no, we can still talk to each other without yelling. We will be playing Fri and Sun at the VFW. most of the people love what we're doing. Wish you all a very merry x-mas and a prosperous New Year.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 3:54 pm    

Walter Killam wrote:

Last year we played a place that was a 4 hour drive,.....

Four hours ONE way?

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 4:09 pm    

Yes, 4 hours each way. The pay was good, but the crowd was hostile!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 6:14 pm    

Walter Killam wrote:
Yes, 4 hours each way. The pay was good, but the crowd was hostile!

Does NOT sound like fun! I'm amazed they asked again since - in THEIR eyes - you were so bad the first time.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 7:28 am    

I think the Post Commander was trying to run off all the older members and bring in a younger crowd, but that's just a theory. No matter what the motivation, we don't want to be involved.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 10:57 am    

I never could understand people who can't play at a low volume. Now, I've played some loud, really kickass-loud music in my day. But I never lost the ability to play at a low volume when it was called for. Anymore, it's actually painful for me to be around really loud music. It's like my mind telling me "We'll have no more of this $#!&"

I suppose this over-doing tendency is just the human condition, like people who can't talk slowly...or quietly. Or, those people who can't take a 15-minute walk without an I-Pod, I-Phone, or a bottle of water. Laughing

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2016 5:11 am    

Donny,
Sounds like you and I are on the same page. Guess I'm old fashioned. I wouldn't have gotten into computers except Jimmie Crawford talked me into it. I certainly wouldn't spend my time or money on an I-pod, I-pad or those cell phones that has people hypnotized by their effect.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2016 3:07 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

I suppose this over-doing tendency is just the human condition, like people who can't talk slowly...or quietly. Or, those people who can't take a 15-minute walk without an I-Pod, I-Phone, or a bottle of water. Laughing

it's getting tough to do! i have to actually make an effort...
i went on a retreat last year. 10 days, no phones, no speaking, no reading, no writing, no exercise, no eye contact. you realize just what an addiction technology is.

anyways, where were we? volume? VFWs?