The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Miller 10 string
William L Johnson Jr.

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 5:07 am    

I just acquired a Miller 10 sting with 2 pedals and 2 levers. I am a life long guitar player who always wanted to try to pedal steel. It seems a bit daunting. When I look on youtube to get some instruction, all of the videos I find use at least 3 pedals. Is there any good online instruction for a 2 pedal steel? Also, can anyone tell me about the Miller 10 string?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 6:54 am    

Actually if the guitar is tuned to an E9th tuning and the two pedals raise the B's to C#, the G#'s-A and the two levers raise and lower the roots, you can play at least 90% of everything you hear on the radio.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 7:12 am    

What Jim said.
While I would be missing valued chunks of the vocabulary I'm used to (my guitar has 4½ pedals¹ and 5 knees), if you brought your guitar to my gig, I could play it all night with a smile on my face and only steel players would notice the missing vocabulary.

¹I have a "Franklin pedal" but haven't learned any vocabulary for it. It's there but rarely used

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 8:26 am    

Hello William,

There is a LOT you can do with those 2 pedals and levers. I would figure (at this point) you would be concerned with chords. With only 2 pedals/levers you can start at fret 5 and using strings 3-6, 8 and 10:

Bar at fret 5 you have an A chord.
Press your lever that lowers Es, you have a C#m, 2 frets back you have Bm. Back at fret 5:
Press both pedals and you have the D chord, 2 frets up is E. Back at fret 5:
Press your A pedal and you get F#m. More?
Press your B pedal and your lever that lowers Es (strings 4 and 8,) and you get E7.
Press your A pedal and your lever that raises the Es and you have the F# chord.
Press both pedals: not only do you have the D chord, but at strings 1, 2 & 3 you have E7!

All the chords for most songs are right there! (Nashville numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6) And there are many ways to make the same chord. For example:
At the 7th fret and both pedals you have E, 5th fret you can have E7, 3rd fret (the A pedal and your lever that raises Es) you again have E chord. Release the A pedal and now it is E7.

Gobs of ways to do the same thing in different places on the steel! Enjoy!
..........Pat

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2016 4:16 pm    

Miller guitars were built from around 1963/64 to the mid 70's. My understanding is that they stopped production due to the shop flooding. They had a variety of different looks over time, including changes in scale on the necks. I have a 1965 model with the longer scale however most models seem to have either 23 or 23 and a half inches, I dont recall exactly what it is. I believe the later ones also have sliding pickups. Good solid guitars. As far as your setup, 2 pedals and 2 knees will get you a long way once you start learning the basics. I'd like to see your guitar if you ever get a chance to take some pictures.