The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Cube 80X Head Conversion
Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 8:16 am    

I thought I would show off my Cube 80X amp head conversion that I did the other day. The speaker was bad in it and Roland built "special design" speakers for this model so a regular 12" speaker will not fit. I decided to slice it down to just a head unit. I kept it as stock looking as I could and it turned out real nice and sounds great thru my homemade extension speaker box. Check it out.
Thanks, Simon

Last edited by Alan Simon on 7 Dec 2016 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 9:41 am     Roland conversion

Nice one, Alan. I started to do this a couple of years ago but decided I like my Cube 80 just as is.

I would make one change: I'd put the controls in front where you can see what you're doing while sitting. I occasionally use the phase effect and have to get up, look around the top, make the change, sit back down for the one song I use it for. Do you ever set the amp next to you with the speaker in back? That would make sense and enable the use of the assortment of FX on that amp including the channel switch.

Another conversion that I might do is put the amp in a speaker cab with a 15" driver. On occasion I will hook a EV 15 to the auxiliary speaker out to fatten the sound. Sounds great. You have to be willing to haul the second speaker along with all the other stuff, not always appealing to me. Maybe for my world tour with the Stones or Beyonce. ;~)

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 10:26 am    

"I would make one change: I'd put the controls in front where you can see what you're doing while sitting."
Hey John, The beauty of having the amp in head form is you can place it anywhere you want with a long enough cord going to the speaker box. I'm with you on leaving it a combo. I found another one with a good speaker so it is staying as a combo. The great thing about making it into a head is you can carry it on a plane and store it in the overhead.
Thanks, Simon

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 11:58 am    

Great idea. I've been told Roland has discontinued the Cube 80s. Too bad. I also heard they made a whole bunch of them rumored to be more than a million. Not confirmed. So there are plenty around. A friend backed his truck up onto one of his Cubes. Crushed part of the cabinet but it's working fine.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 12:58 pm    

Nice work Alan! I see you've also added the beam blocker to disperse the sound from being so direct/forward, a great additions. What is it with the 12" speaker special design in these amps that others don't fit or can't be replaced with a standard neo type speaker? Is it less than a 12" standard?
I see you've added the necessary 1/4" spkr out jack in a convenient location as well.
Looks great!

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 7:30 am    

What is it with the 12" speaker special design in these amps that others don't fit or can't be replaced with a standard neo type speaker? Is it less than a 12" standard?
I see you've added the necessary 1/4" spkr out jack in a convenient location as well.
Looks great![/quote]
Hey Kevin, Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the speakers in the Roland 80x/ 80xl have a smaller basket so as not to touch the amp when installed. It is a very tight space for the speaker to fit. That is why it is such a compact, loud amp.
Thanks, Alan

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 10:33 am    

Nice work! How far forward in the cab does the chassis extend? Do you have any pictures of what the chassis looks like alone? Considering this as a head, but want to know how small I could make it

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 12:24 pm    

It's closer to 11.5" than 12. A 12 won't fit the hole

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 1:56 pm    

Loosen 4 screws per side and the amp will pop right out. It is very small and will fit in a much smaller area than I used but I wanted to keep the look of the Cube. I also did not know if these solid state amps heat up so I wanted to allow some breathing room for it.
Later, Simon

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 5:07 pm    

Thanks Alan,

To the best of your recollection how far does the head extend toward the front of the amp? Also, is the cube designed for a 4 or 8 ohm speaker?

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 5:53 am    

The amp does not extend much further forward than what you see on the top and the speaker is 8ohm.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 11:49 am    

good deal, thanks alan!