The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIG E's Killer Joe sound
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 9:57 pm    

Buddy employed this sound quite often, but Killer Joe seems like the most obvious example. anyone know exactly what effect or combination of effects he was using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErOXLWIc9k

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 3:54 am    

Phase shifter with a very slow rate, medium sweep and little feedback.

I used phase shifter on one tune on my record as sort of an homage to this track, which was an inspiration when I bought this LP many years ago. But also being a fan of guitarists who use modulation, I had to up the rate and sweep.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 7:15 am    

The Peavey session 500 came with a built in phase shifter and I think that's what was used on Killer Joe

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 7:22 am    

Bass part sounds like Paul Revere and the Raiders "Hungry".

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 7:51 am    

didn't Buddy use an MXR Phase 90 typically? those pedals have a Speed dial which I assume adjusts the rate, but how is the sweep adjusted?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 8:55 am    

Buddy used an envelope follower/filter a lot during those times.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 9:26 am    

It sounds exactly like the onboard phaser in the Session 500. I heard Buddy play live with this amp/phase back in 1980, 81, 83. He got the same sound on his "One for the Road" album from that era. I bought a Session 500 back in 1981, but I never liked it. I couldn't dial in the tone I was looking for, and the amp weighed 82 lbs!

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2016 10:59 pm    

It's either the MXR Phase 90 or the Session 500 on-board phase shifter. The 500 shifter could be adjusted to give a deeper phase, but the Phase 90 has about the same sound. Possibly an MXR DynaComp compressor, too.

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 2:46 pm    

Mike Cass, jump in here and put this issue to rest!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 3:03 pm    

Going by the LP cover, Buddy is pictured with a Session 400 with an electronics unit of some type sitting on top. I would guess this photo is from the session because it shows Lenny and some of the other guys' pics that were on the session in the studio. If so, the 400 did not have a phaser as I recall.

In this thread, where he talks about another session in the same year with Danny Gatton, he says he uses an MXR phaser and is confirmed further down the page by Ernie that it was a Phase 90. That was for the Gatton session, but it was in the same time period, year at least. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30556&highlight=

Some of the threads in the "Ask Buddy" section on his old web site, he mentions using an orange stomp box phaser in various things. FWIW.....

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 3:17 pm    

I agree about the session 400 on the cover, it's a great sound however he's getting it. Whenever he used something he always found the most unique way to do it. Octaver fuzz box, ebow, ,echoplex you name it..priceless!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 3:28 pm    

So true Mike. He was a genius at effects use. Either in subtle use or very prominent stuff.

I always think of the magical things he did when I hear people knocking using effects for steel. I believe Long Way to Go on this album is the Ebow. This Minors Aloud disc probably gets more play than anything I have.