The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin never to depart
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 10:35 pm    

My life has gotten pretty grim last couple years and have gone through much heartache so I was gonna sell my Franklin D10 for money this year despite everyone telling me not to sell it. But being my music has gone no where, I decided that I was gonna finally sell it.
But today after two years it sitting in the case, I sat down and tuned it up and oh Lord I forgotten how incredible it plays and oh how I missed that crystal clear pristine tone. now I can't bring myself to sell it. I thought back how excited I was to be able to own this one back when I bought it. Brought a tear to my eye.
I just wish God would give me a chance to really play my steel one day. Maybe for him

Anyway maybe I'm crazy, but I feel something telling me to hold on to the guitar. Kind of emotional st the moment cause I need the money too. But after today, I can't sell it as of now

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 2:18 am    

Ben, good for you. I am sure if you exert even a small amount of time you can seek a local Gospel based group that would be thrilled to have you join them.

Heck, find a few Gospel based singers from a local church with acoustic guitars and go the the local VA or Sr Centers and offer to play once a week for an hour.

Share your talents on that fine Instrument.

PS: DO NOT put it back in the case, that why you have not played it. Keep it set up in an active room in your home, even if you play without an amp, keep it handy and ready. The worst thing that can happen is you do not play it often but LOOK at it each day.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 6:08 am    

Thank you tony

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 6:40 am    

I've had my Franklin 35 years (next week) and it will never "depart". Still playing it weekly in bands and Cowboy Church.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 7:12 am    

Instruments in cases don't get played. If there's the remotest possibility that you might ever get a wild hair and want to play it, leave it out. I have a mandolin, an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar, a dobro, and a Fender bass hanging on my music room walls. That way, I have no excuse not to use them for their intended purposes.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 8:44 pm     Franklin never to depart

If you put a steel in its case it is sort of lost. To me a steel is and instrument that does a lot to settle ones mind and make you forget the problem at the time or blossom happiness if your mood. By the time you get the case out where you can open the case, Get the legs, pedal bar, and pedal rods installed, seat in place and get your bar and picks out. Time to check the tuning an everything around can change. Then you have to do something else or your mood has changed.
If your guitar is out where you can just play it, You can just enjoy it. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 9:23 pm    

Mine stays out....I keep a stack of bills and files on it sometimes...it's a handy TV tray too...

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 6:28 am    

+1 on having it set up all the time. I found that if I had to get it out of the case and set it up I never practiced, but if it's just sitting there, and all I had to do was sit down, I'd do it.

Of course I hated tearing down to do gigs so I did what any lazy steel player would do and bought another virtually identical guitar. One stays cased ready to go, one is ready to play.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 7:23 am     Never to Depart

I think we get emotionally attached to our Steels... In our minds, we have chosen the best Steel for ourselves, kinda like choosing a Pool Cue.

I've had a bunch of Steels & sold them for one reason or the other. But this time, someone else will sell this Sierra. If I thought I could play it in heaven, I would take it with me....

One of my favorite songs to play is "the Old Rugged Cross", when I play it well, it brings a tear to my eyes. Same goes for Amazing Grace....

Hang on to your loved ones & your Steel...

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 1:35 pm    

If you can keep one set up, do it. You will practice and play more often, even if its only a few minutes a day.

One set up for practice and gig prep, one lives by the door, ready to gig.

its not that I gig endlessly , but time is often in short supply between the day gig and night.

I understand not everyone has two or more rigs, and the space to leave one set up.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 6:09 pm    

Aint no way I could get rid of mine.And Im not gonna knock any other guitar either..Unbelievable sustain, smoothness.Doesnt lose anything ,in Hughey land it gains and then some.It delivers what your hands put into it.Thank you Paul Sr.Merry Christmas to all

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 6:49 pm    

even with guitars hanging on walls, I would still not play them. Not until i broke down and got one of those guitar stands and put the guitar in the travel path between dining room and kitchen did i play. And every day!
Musicians are like that sometimes. any excuse not to play. weird! So keep the PSG out and set up. Pianos get played because all you have to do is sit down and play.

And i think really ask your maker for help here. If money is an issue and you would play for spiritual reasons i'm sure the universe will answer your call.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 8:29 am    

Don't ever sell it Ben. If I could afford a Franklin, I would have one right now. Stay with it. I spent several years away from Pedal Steel (Against Herb Steiner's advice) and eventually came back to it. Herb was right. Keep it out. Keep good strings on it. Play it play it play it.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2016 12:37 pm    

Play it whenever possible and while you are playing it, don't answer the telephone.