The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oahu steel music for A major tuning-did they do C6th also ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:08 pm    

For those of you who are old enough to remember these, I have a stack of Oahu music that my steel teacher gave to me over 50 years ago...(I never went thru the course, he taught me strictly by rote). It is all for A major tuning. My question is did Oahu publish music for other tunings as well, specifically for C6th ?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:20 pm    

I've never seen any C6 Oahu sheet music. Everything I've seen is for the earlier tunings, A, E7, etc. The company was around until the 1960s but they were selling the old arrangements until the end, as far as I know.

Joe Snow

Argyle,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:24 pm    

I'm pretty sure I have some old Oahu tab in Am7 tuning. I'll take a look. I know I had some sheet music from the late 50's lessons that showed that tuning (C6).

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:31 pm    

According to Lorene Ruymar (as told by Betty Glynn, Oahu arranger and publishing manager) Am7 (or C6) was added to Oahu publishing material in the 1940s.

This list was submitted by Margo Shy who has the complete set. It doesn't say if it's exhaustive:

Steel Guitar Rag, 1944
Beyond the Reef, 1949
Harbor Lights, 1950

I need to dig through my set. I seem to remember an arrangement in C6...

Joe Snow

Argyle,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:37 pm    

Mansion over the hill was presented in E7 tuning, Amaj, and Am7. Arranged by "Oahu Staff". I don't see the typical cover on this piece.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:45 pm    

You guys are an amazing wealth of knowledge ! BTW a note to Doug B....i got your first book of C6th tunes and I love it...its exactly what I was looking for to get me started on the lap steel again ! I am sure later, I will get Vol 2 !
Thanks again for the responses.

Joe Snow

Argyle,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 3:47 pm    

by the way, that was given to me in 1958 or 1959 by my music teacher.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 4:46 pm    

This is what I thought I remembered. It's actually a blurb at the end of lesson 75PT of the "Oahu Advanced Harmony Note Course for Hawaiian and Electric Guitar". This particular lesson is dated 1949 (and unfortunately where my run ends):

"Beginning with the next lesson another tuning is being introduced to you. One that you have heard many times and probably wondered how the guitarist managed to play such weird and interesting chords. Perhaps you first heard it on the broadcast from Waikiki Beach-the Hawaii Calls radio program. Or maybe one of those rhythmic western swing records such as those released by Jerry Byrd."

This date doesn't line up at all with the info I quoted from the Ruymar book. My little collection of 25 or so "Advanced Harmony" lessons must be a whole different series?

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 4:51 pm     Just ask

Larry I think I have all, if not most of those from the mid-50's up through most of the 60's from Bill. They are in my steelseat's warehouse and I am fairly sure I have some A7 / C6 stuff - I played C6 on my double neck because of the Western Swing stuff Bill taught me - I will check if I can get too them by the time you get out here (before our SWSGA show here in Phoenix) the other thing Margie might know too - there are 3 or 4 of us out here that has a bunch of that stuff.

Chuck Lettes might be able to help too - he is doing a class on Saturday at the Phoenix show just before the non-pedal session.

C-ya soon

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 5:17 pm    

Good to hear from you Joe ! Yes I am looking forward to getting out to ol' sunny Arizoni soon ! I will check with Margie, she does have alot of material and I took a couple of lessons from her about a year agao. Thanks for the input ! It will be good to see you. As an aside, Joe and I took from the same great steel and guitar teacher, Bill Pruitt, altho Joe started before me, and I took guitar from is first and then steel later, and Joe and I both taught at his studios too, altho in different towns.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 5:20 pm    

In looking over the Oahu PT course that I purchased from Kay Koster a few years back, the A minor 7th (C6th) tuning was introduced in lesson 76PT and continued through the final exam, lesson 80PT.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 8:53 pm    

Larry, thanks for your kind comments about my lap steel book and CD. I'm glad you like it.

I am pleasantly surprised to see the Oahu C6/Am7 material. I didn't know that existed!

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:18 am    

Are there any sources for getting some of the old music, specifically the Hawaiian tunes?

I do see some on Ebay occasionally.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 9:10 am    

I have a bunch of Oahu music and also some Bronson music. However, I didn't get exposed to the C6th tuning until I went through the Jerry Byrd book and that tuning was presented at the end of the book. I thought it sounded gorgeous.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 9:14 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I have a bunch of Oahu music and also some Bronson music. However, I didn't get exposed to the C6th tuning until I went through the Jerry Byrd book and that tuning was presented at the end of the book. I thought it sounded gorgeous.

It seems most of us thought - and still think - that Byrd's tuning is gorgeous!

Thanks for the reply.

BTW, I would love to see ANY of the Oahu et al materials in any tuning!

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 4:56 am    

I want to thank you guys for helping me with C6 tuning.

Somehow, the last week, thinking of it as "Am7" and bearing in mind the E and A strings are the same as my A6 tuning, has made me understand C6 way more than before.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 9:07 pm    

I was introduced to the C6th tuning by a teacher that I had lessons from for about 8 months, in the late 40s.
He used the Gibson course, which had only notation & no tab, and I still haven't used tab & don't know how !!!
There was the usual A major to start, but he got riled up because I was already playing small gigs & using E major, and sometimes showed up with that tuning instead of the A !!
Then he brought up the C6th, and I never looked back !!
I do fool with C#m, but it's not a handy tuning..

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 4:38 am    

Bill Creller wrote:
I do fool with C#m, but it's not a handy tuning..

Some of those old-timers got some wonderful music out of that tuning, though.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 9:07 am    

When I was playing a T-8 Stringmaster, I had C#m7 on one of the necks, it is a great tuning! Very Happy

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 9:28 am    

There's an old C#m tuning that I have in some 30's era instructional materials - lo to hi, B-D-E-G#-C#-E.

It's not as user-friendly as Santo's C#m7 tuning (lo to hi, C#-E-G#-B-C#-E), which I keep on one of the necks of my D8 Stringmaster, and C6 on the other neck.